South Carolina - new resident and new pool

gegatesSC

May 19, 2021
Murrells Inlet, SC
Good afternoon TFPers. I found this site and was thinking, man, when I was a kid maintaining our 20 x 40 in ground vinyl pool this site would have been super helpful. Equally, youtube works much better than the old chiltons manuals for fixing cars.

Anyway, we are moving to a coastal area near Myrtle Beach SC, and looking to have a pool. We have a somewhat odd yard; it backs to wetlands and has a small sliver of useable space before the buffer area. Contacted a pool builder who has some nice projects in the area. He doesn't seem too concerned, but from what I can tell the present grade is about 4-5' below our base flood elevation of 10 feet. So, that means it is more likely to flood than the 100 year flood elevation of 10 ft. The house is elevated a good amount, likely 6' in the rear of the home. I know there are plenty of coastal beach homes with pools built virtually at sea level and in a 10+ base flood elevation. That said, looking for words of wisdom here. Should I drop the idea? Get some type of automatic cover to mitigate some of the flooding? Insist the pool gets raised (although that could create some access issues, fill dirt, and substantial grading).

Hopefully I will get to post more on the subject if I proceed. Thanks folks!

Last edited:
Hey Gegates- I've seen gunite pools that have elevated sides with just one or two sides level with the ground. It would take a good pool architect to plot it out, especially with your wetlands. A good pool builder has probably done a few there.

Any builder you use ask to see some examples of his work near wetlands. We'd love to watch your entire progress from planning to swimming.

Maddie 🐞

Hey Gegates- I've seen gunite pools that have elevated sides with just one or two sides level with the ground. It would take a good pool architect to plot it out, especially with your wetlands. A good pool builder has probably done a few there.

Any builder you use ask to see some examples of his work near wetlands. We'd love to watch your entire progress from planning to swimming.

Maddie 🐞
Thanks Maddie!

Well, right now after talking to the HOA we are holding off. Sounds like the entire back yard is routinely inundated, which poses challenges for placing equipment (or substantially elevating it), and for that matter elevating a pool. While there is probably a solution, it seems like it could be very cost prohibitive and so radical it is not likely to be approved by the architectural standards. More to come.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.