Source for pump pigtail?

Jul 5, 2016
Biddeford, Maine
My Hayward pump (20 amp, 220V) is hardwired into a box on the side of the house. I'd like to change that over to a pigtail that I can plug in, because I pull the pump in the fall and disconnecting/reconnecting the wiring is a hassle (and at some point is going to weaken the wires).

Is there a source where I can order one of these?

Thanks!

NEC limits pump cords that plug in to 3 feet.

You can get a 240V 20 amp plug and outlet and wire it up in a weatherproof box near your pump.

I think you will find the outdoor outlet and plug will get corroded and cause more problems then disconnecting wires every year.

NEC limits pump cords that plug in to 3 feet.
Wow I didn't know that. 3ft, that shouldn't apply to service pumps though. Thats all I have ever used them for.

OP, if you still want to go that route. https://www.grainger.com/product/MASTER-APPLIANCE-Cord-with-20A-Plug-25WC51 You should use at least 12g wire. And it should be soild that prolly why they are hard wired because they are soild copper wires. Just saying

A safer route would be to install a junction box in between your motor and power source. If you mount the box higher up it will not be a hassle.

Wow I didn't know that. 3ft, that shouldn't apply to service pumps though. Thats all I have ever used them for.

680.8 Cord-and-Plug-Connected Equipment
Fixed or stationary equipment other than an underwater luminaire for permanently installed pools can be cord-and-plug-connected to facilitate removal or disconnection for maintenance or repair.
(A) Length. Except for storable pools, the flexible cord must not exceed 3 ft in length.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.