Long Island, NY
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Autopilot Digital PPC1 (RC-35)
Problem: Pool water continues to taste sour despite water apparently conforming to TFP specifications.

Background: I opened the pool this year in may with a slam, and balanced the chemistry as normal, but on the first swim my kids stated the water tasted sour. Everything tested in the acceptable range, and the water appeared clear, but nevertheless I raised the chlorine to 20ppm for a few days to be sure. At this time cya was around 20 and a solar cover was in use. The shock appeared not to affect the taste.

After this, another event added confusion. I had observed earlier that iron scale had formed a ring at the waterline and staining on the liner over the winter. After researching here, I purchased a bucket of vitamin C and some metal out and successfully removed the iron scale. Having removed the metal stains, I added washing soda to bring the ph up, and some baking soda to raise the TA(which was around 40 before the Vitamin C treament), but despite calculating and testing, I must have made an error because I achieved a 160 TA. I used muriatic acid over a few weeks and reduced it to about 90. Water taste is still sour, and the sourness persists even when the pH is relatively high.

Using the TF teskt kit, levels are:
pH 7.2
FC 6
TC <.5
CYA 30
TA 90
calcium - not tested
water is clear

Additives: I sometimes use coverfree liquid solar cover.

What could wrong here?

Thanks!

Dangerous

Problem: Pool water continues to taste sour despite water apparently conforming to TFP specifications.

Background: I opened the pool this year in may with a slam, and balanced the chemistry as normal, but on the first swim my kids stated the water tasted sour. Everything tested in the acceptable range, and the water appeared clear, but nevertheless I raised the chlorine to 20ppm for a few days to be sure. At this time cya was around 20 and a solar cover was in use. The shock appeared not to affect the taste.

After this, another event added confusion. I had observed earlier that iron scale had formed a ring at the waterline and staining on the liner over the winter. After researching here, I purchased a bucket of vitamin C and some metal out and successfully removed the iron scale. Having removed the metal stains, I added washing soda to bring the ph up, and some baking soda to raise the TA(which was around 40 before the Vitamin C treament), but despite calculating and testing, I must have made an error because I achieved a 160 TA. I used muriatic acid over a few weeks and reduced it to about 90. Water taste is still sour, and the sourness persists even when the pH is relatively high.

Using the TF teskt kit, levels are:
pH 7.2
FC 6
TC <.5
CYA 30
TA 90
calcium - not tested
water is clear

Additives: I sometimes use coverfree liquid solar cover.

What could wrong here?

Thanks!

Dangerous
I’ve never tasted pool water (on purpose at least) but have you considered that the liquid solar cover is the cause?

Last edited:
I’ve never tasted pool water (on purpose at least) but have you considered that the liquid solar cover is the cause?
Yes I did consider this, but the evidence against that hypothesis is substantial.

1. The taste appeared before the use of the liquid cover.
2. The manufacturer of the liquid cover states that it should not impart taste.
3. I did not observe the problem in previous years while using the same liquid cover.

Reactions: newdude
At pH 7.2 water shouldn't really taste "sour". Could it maybe be more of a "metallic" taste from the iron stains that you removed?
It could be, I've been using a CU later to try to remove some of the Iron. The taste does not appear to vary with the pH it is still present when he pH is higher.

Was the taste present before the use of vitamin c & metal out?
Bout to go taste test my bottle of cover free 🤣
Be right back ….

• Haha
Reactions: newdude
Was the taste present before the use of vitamin c & metal out?
Bout to go taste test my bottle of cover free 🤣
Be right back ….
Yes. We opened the pool and swam in it before I treated the Iron stains. Also we do not believe the taste existed when we closed the pool in the fall.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Yes. We opened the pool and swam in it before I treated the Iron stains. Also we do not believe the taste existed when we closed the pool in the fall.
My vote is its the iron itself. Do you have a well or something rusty/metal in the pool? Aka- do you know the source of the iron?

Reactions: mgtfp
My vote is its the iron itself. Do you have a well or something rusty/metal in the pool? Aka- do you know the source of the iron?
No I don't know the source of the iron. It is a vinyl pool and there are no metal features in pool other than a pool light. My plumbing is mostly brass pipe(yes this is uncommon) and newer sections in copper, there is no iron/galvanized pipe in the system. My water source is municipal water, but the municipal water in this area is sourced from wells, so that could be the source. The drinking water does not have a sour or metallic taste. Is there an easy way to assess this?

No I don't know the source of the iron. It is a vinyl pool and there are no metal features in pool other than a pool light. My plumbing is mostly brass pipe(yes this is uncommon) and newer sections in copper, there is no iron/galvanized pipe in the system. My water source is municipal water, but the municipal water in this area is sourced from wells, so that could be the source. The drinking water does not have a sour or metallic taste. Is there an easy way to assess this?
Don’t discount the light- it may be rusting in the niche where you cannot see.
Get your fill water tested for metals (iron & copper) at the pool store. They’re not the best but they’re free lol.
You can get your pool water tested for them as well.
Don’t buy anything
Since you have added a sequesterant to your pool water some of the metals will be “hidden” on the test but the sequesterant will eventually wear off.
Do you have staining in your toilets or tubs in your home?

Reactions: mgtfp
Is there a lab or service I where I can send a water sample to get an accurate sense of metal levels in the pool?
Take a sample to the pool store- metals are the only test we recommend you have done there. They’re not always the most accurate but they’re available. Make sure they differentiate between copper & iron

Is there a lab or service I where I can send a water sample to get an accurate sense of metal levels in the pool?
Cornell cooperative extension but the only locations I can find right now are upstate. You could always mail it if there's none closer, but these 4 are pretty close together so I bet there's a couple in each county.

Here's the NYS lab directory/search

I would imagine you'd have a better chance of getting the house water tested for free than pool water. If asked, say it's from the kitchen sink. Hehe.

Reactions: Mdragger88
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.