NW Arkansas
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-15)
Moving from Houston to NW Arkansas, Rogers, Bentonville, area. I have put an offer in on a house with a less than 5 yr. old gunnite pool. I think there is a problem. It looks like visible flaking or bubbling of the plaster. I am having the house inspected but typically the report will say the equipment is operable and to consult a pool company. The current company taking care of the pool is doing a horrible job, pool dirty, skimmer baskets full, stains or dirt. It's a shame. This same company did a pool inspection for my daughter Spring 21 when they bought in the same area. I was there for their inspection and the information they were telling my kids I know was wrong, from my years of reading and belonging here. My realtor started asking the seller's agent and they are not responding. I just don't want their pool boy to go and just dump a bunch of acid in the pool.

So I need recommendations of who to call to do an inspection. Idealy, it would be a company I would call to replace the heat pump with a heater or any real repairs or perhaps a pool builder. I do my own testing according to TFP and will continue to do so. Please PM me with any names.

Thanks a bunch,
Christine

Is it too late to make the offer contingent on a pool inspection by a qualified pool professional of your choice?
No, I am having inspections done. The sellers' agent is non responsive about this matter. So we are going to do inspections, the contract is contingent on inspections. But, from experience Home Inspectors just see if the equipment is operable and put in the report I recommend you consult with a licenses professional. For that reason I want someone to inspect not only that the stuff works but is also knowledgeable about the surface . I am doing the same for all the HVAC equipment using a company that I will use for routine inspection, care, and repairs. That's why I am seeking names to contact. I would probably end up using them if for instance I needed to replace a motor etc. I am already planning on replacing the heat pump with a 400 Btu gas heater. I didn't get a good enough look at the pumps, but since electricity is high priced in this area will probably switch them out for variable speed. Needless to say I will be back here to make sure what I am getting is the correct equipment for what I need. TFP has never steered me wrong. I was planning on building a new pool in Houston before this decision to relocate nearer to the kids. I have about 8 pages of notes, what to do, what to look for.

Post some pictures of the plaster issues you are seeing and also the pool equipment.
Not sure of the home sales competition in your area but around here there is a big buying push and offering to buy a property "as is" has become a trend to secure a deal.
This makes the inspection process critical to avoid buying a "money pit" assuming you trust your home inspector.
I don't trust home inspectors to catch everything so you are doing the right thing reaching out for opinions.

Post some pictures of the plaster issues you are seeing and also the pool equipment.
Not sure of the home sales competition in your area but around here there is a big buying push and offering to buy a property "as is" has become a trend to secure a deal.
This makes the inspection process critical to avoid buying a "money pit" assuming you trust your home inspector.
I don't trust home inspectors to catch everything so you are doing the right thing reaching out for opinions.
I absolutely do not trust home inspectors to catch much. It has to be obvious and just not work for it to be noticed. That's why I want someone that would do the repairs to help evaluate, not a pool school store pool boy that just vacs and dumps in product. I need someone to evaluate the plaster.. I don't think I will have access until next week to take pictures. It will be during the inspections. Is there anyone in this area that recommends a builder or equipment person. Please PM me I would so appreciate it.

Reactions: Kellyp
I absolutely do not trust home inspectors to catch much. It has to be obvious and just not work for it to be noticed. That's why I want someone that would do the repairs to help evaluate, not a pool school store pool boy that just vacs and dumps in product. I need someone to evaluate the plaster.. I don't think I will have access until next week to take pictures. It will be during the inspections. Is there anyone in this area that recommends a builder or equipment person. Please PM me I would so appreciate it.
So I am passing on the house. Owners is out there. Bought at the height of COVID pricing for less than list in Oct. 2020 and in less than a year want $400K more than they paid. It won't appraise, they wanted me to waive appraisal. LOL some people, yes make a bit of money, but a money grab, not with me.

I did find someone to evaluate the plaster, recommended from a local TFP member, thanks. Will keep that info for the next round.

So I am passing on the house. Owners is out there. Bought at the height of COVID pricing for less than list in Oct. 2020 and in less than a year want $400K more than they paid. It won't appraise, they wanted me to waive appraisal. LOL some people, yes make a bit of money, but a money grab, not with me.

I did find someone to evaluate the plaster, recommended from a local TFP member, thanks. Will keep that info for the next round.

Was it a flip? Sad part is someone else will be right behind you to buy it up for the premium. Sellers market. Im sure they will regret it when the housing prices correct themselves.

Was it a flip? Sad part is someone else will be right behind you to buy it up for the premium. Sellers market. Im sure they will regret it when the housing prices correct themselves.
No flip, I think relocating. They did nothing to the house except paint all the 1980's oak cabinets, in a 2011 build mind you. they must of hired a cheap painter, it looks like white plastic, and it's on the drawer glides of the kitchen drawers. This is on a 1M+ house. They didn't take care of the pool,2016 build, and the plaster at the deep end looked bubbling and flaking, skimmers were packed with leaves. The sellers were just gouging, not at all in line price wise with the rest of the area. They bought at the height and wanted even more.

Sounds like you dodged a bullet! That bubbling is delamination, and it's what led to my recent pool renovation. There was a spot on the bottom that was really bad, but I found out after they drained it that there were problems everywhere. So if there's *visible* problems like you're describing, I promise you there are dozens of other spots that you can't see that are also having issues.

AFAIK, there's no reason plaster that's only 5 years old should be having issues like that, unless it was a hack installation. And staining is 100% evidence that they weren't taking care of it. I know that from personal experience.

Sounds like you dodged a bullet! That bubbling is delamination, and it's what led to my recent pool renovation. There was a spot on the bottom that was really bad, but I found out after they drained it that there were problems everywhere. So if there's *visible* problems like you're describing, I promise you there are dozens of other spots that you can't see that are also having issues.

AFAIK, there's no reason plaster that's only 5 years old should be having issues like that, unless it was a hack installation. And staining is 100% evidence that they weren't taking care of it. I know that from personal experience.
I agree. I assume if I can see a problem, there are other problems I can't see now. After the failed negotiations to even get to a contract, which we didn't. They never would have agreed to the pool inspection which probably would have been a full chip out and who knows what else. Yes the bullet was dodged. So still looking.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

People are crazy these days with their pricing. Next door to our rental property they are asking full "good condition" price for a house that is nearly a tear down. It's going to take at least a hundred thousand to make it livable. There is no way anybody in their right mind would pay that. But there may be somebody who will. It's cuckoo for Cocoa Puffs.

Reactions: Newdude
Not easy seeing through "buyers blindness" when house shopping, especially when it's a good location in a nice neighborhood. That pool is going to cost someone some $ in the near future, nice dodge.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.