Sort of Newbie

Jul 15, 2018
Cary, NC
Have had 2 prior pools. both Salt. We built this one and went salt-less, with ozone sanitizer. Was disappointed to find out during build that we would still need chlorine tabs. This is second summer with pool and this week we had first ever algae bloom. Went shock, and algaecide since Thursday. No visible trace of algae left and I estimate I exchanged 15-20% of water, in past few days.

Have read a ton on this site (thanks!) and have firm grasp on importance of ratio between CYA-FC. I am surprised about the resultant high levels of FC required if I got CYA down to the target of 50, but will deal with it. My questions are:

1. is there any impact on the ratio or targets with presence of the ozone sanitizer. (Feel free to tell me I wasted money on it in first place.)

2. I have been using CL pucks with stabilizer. Seems the worst trick ever by industry as it obviously keeps pumping CYA into pool...unchecked. I was going to convert to plain old chlorine tabs and person at pool place almost had a conniption not to put non-stabilized chlorine tabs into same dosing unit that once had stabilized chlorine tabs. Claims it will cause a catastrophe. Any chemical reason/truth to that?

3. If I abandon the dosing unit altogether and go the route of good old 6% bleach... what's general rule of thumb of how often I will be adding it to pool. Once a week no big deal...once a day which seemed to be the case on some threads seems impractical...and expensive.

4. Pool today is still a bit cloudy...shallow end is clear but deep end drains are not crisply visible. CYA may be just coming down to ~100 (have to check your tap water method) and Chlorine has fallen from 10+ to ~5 after adding 1 pound shock on Thursday evening and with the water exchanges. I don't believe I am losing any chlorine to algae (informal overnight test). At this point, all my other chemistry readings are near target (ph/7.5, FC/5ish, CH/300, Total Alkalinity/90) so is the theory that adding chlorine would help clear things up?

5. How do you feel about reducing CYA via bio-active? Saw it in store, but am nervous about adding to pool....

Thanks.

Hi, welcome to TFP! I'll answer your questions as best I can.
1. Ozone will burn through chlorine faster, and yes we believe it is a waste of money in an outdoor pool where the sun provides all the free ozone you could ever want. We can point you to some links for additional information if you would like.

2. True, you can not use cal-hypo pucks in a container that has held trichlore/dichlore. They don't play well together, will start a fire, and depending on circumstances it may explode.

3. Some add bleach daily or every other day. Every pool is a little different.

4. You need to complete the SLAM Process process to clear the pool. With a CYA of 100 an FC of 5 will not give sufficient chlorine to clear the pool. See our [FC/CYA][/FC/CYA] for more information on the proper ratios.

5. We have had members who have tried Bio-active. Some had minimal success with maybe a 20ppm drop, most said it was ineffective. Our conclusion is that it is too much money for too little benefit.