Sonos!!!

Interesting. I'll have to see if this can also be done with the regular Connect. The video is still the tougher part for me. The only 2 solutions I have are:

- Connect video from computer to an Apple TV that is connected as a "line in" to the sonos system. This will require the tv to play the same as the projector.

- run a really long hdmi cable (how long do they make them) from our cable box to the projector and connect my receiver to the Connect like you mentioned (if possible)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

From what I could tell, the connect has a line in jack, so you should be able to get your TV's audio into the sonos environment that way.

As far as long hdmi cables, check out monoprice.com. Best prices I have ever seen on cables and tv mounts. It'll just take a week or so for the package to get out your way. If you need longer, you can get hdmi to cat 5/6 cable systems (I believe monoprice has those as well) where you'd be able to get about a 330' run (or longer)

You may want to look into the optoma projectors that can use their wireless hdmi system. The wireless part is about $200 on amazon.

Another way to approach it might be with a play 5 speaker (it also has line in jack) and a cheap blueray player (or Roku/apple tv/etc.) outside with the projector, and just plug it directly in to the projector and the audio into the sonos speaker. Then you could group all the speakers to the line in, and get sound that way. But the play 5's are only $500! Since my use will be occasional, I can live with a bit of a kludge.

All part of the fun, right!

- - - Updated - - -

I don't think so. I had a friend who worked there so I saved 20% :-D

The only thing I've ever seen is when they sell two 1s for 350 bucks, which is 50 bucks off. That or use Best Buy discounts and apply them to Sonos products. We got some of Sonos products at 10% using Best Buy discount coupons.

I was worried about that! But at least it makes me feel a little less silly about impulse buying another speaker the other day! I normally don't buy anything unless it's on sale..LOL.

Interesting. I'll have to see if this can also be done with the regular Connect. The video is still the tougher part for me. The only 2 solutions I have are:

- Connect video from computer to an Apple TV that is connected as a "line in" to the sonos system. This will require the tv to play the same as the projector.

- run a really long hdmi cable (how long do they make them) from our cable box to the projector and connect my receiver to the Connect like you mentioned (if possible)

for cable with a long hdmi run what we do is use hdmi baluns. pretty much it is a single cat5 or 6 run with 2 boxes on each end that carry the hdmi signal. you then hook up hdmi wires to each side of that box.

so a few things. 1. it's cable so no worry about 4k so you can do this with a single cat cable. 2. if we are talking 4k the boxes are more money and you have to use cat6 shielded for reliable picture. 3. if we are talking 4k with hdr then it is deff cat6 shielded and alot of money for the box. only 1 company has a true hdr solution over cat cable rigth now.

4. but if we are just worrying about 1080p then you can set a balun from someone like Atlona (which are the best), geffen, even monoprice but they are hit and miss.

the proper way for runs over 50' say is over a cat5 or 6 cable wit ha balun. anything shorter than that you can do hdmi wire IF we are talking 1080p. if we are talking 4k then you aren't going over 20 feet even shorter with reliablility.

jim

for cable with a long hdmi run what we do is use hdmi baluns. pretty much it is a single cat5 or 6 run with 2 boxes on each end that carry the hdmi signal. you then hook up hdmi wires to each side of that box.

so a few things. 1. it's cable so no worry about 4k so you can do this with a single cat cable. 2. if we are talking 4k the boxes are more money and you have to use cat6 shielded for reliable picture. 3. if we are talking 4k with hdr then it is deff cat6 shielded and alot of money for the box. only 1 company has a true hdr solution over cat cable rigth now.

4. but if we are just worrying about 1080p then you can set a balun from someone like Atlona (which are the best), geffen, even monoprice but they are hit and miss.

the proper way for runs over 50' say is over a cat5 or 6 cable wit ha balun. anything shorter than that you can do hdmi wire IF we are talking 1080p. if we are talking 4k then you aren't going over 20 feet even shorter with reliablility.

jim

Jim, a lot of this is foreign to me. But we do have an extra cat5 box wired to the outside of our home close to the area where we would use the projector. It is connected currently to our modem for internet connectivity should we need to hard wire a device like our laptop for projecting streaming video.

I could have our indoor tv playing the video from our cable box or bluray player and have our outdoor sonos speakers grouped with our indoor sonos speakers (which are connected to the tv Amp). But how would I bring the video signal from the indoor tv/cable box to the projector? Our tv Vizio 70-e3 does not have a video out. Would I somehow need to split the video signal from the cable box to the indoor tv and outdoor projector?

Alternatively, I can hard wire my laptop to the Cat5 cable to get streaming (not cable) video to my projector. But how would I get audio from my computer to my sonos system?

Jim, a lot of this is foreign to me. But we do have an extra cat5 box wired to the outside of our home close to the area where we would use the projector. It is connected currently to our modem for internet connectivity should we need to hard wire a device like our laptop for projecting streaming video.

I could have our indoor tv playing the video from our cable box or bluray player and have our outdoor sonos speakers grouped with our indoor sonos speakers (which are connected to the tv Amp). But how would I bring the video signal from the indoor tv/cable box to the projector? Our tv Vizio 70-e3 does not have a video out. Would I somehow need to split the video signal from the cable box to the indoor tv and outdoor projector?

Alternatively, I can hard wire my laptop to the Cat5 cable to get streaming (not cable) video to my projector. But how would I get audio from my computer to my sonos system?

Brian..

You could use an hdmi splitter like this one: Blackbird 4K 1x2 HDMI Pigtail Splitter - Monoprice.com to route the video splitter from your cable box to the outdoor projector, and use the line in feature on your sonos to get the audio signal into the sonos environment.

For the computer setup, easy way to get the audio is to get a headphone to rca adaptor cable similar to this: 7inch Premium 3.5mm Stereo Male to 2RCA Female 22AWG Cable (Gold Plated) - Black - Monoprice.com and then patch that into the same line in on the connect (or a play 5 speaker).

Brian..

You could use an hdmi splitter like this one: Blackbird 4K 1x2 HDMI Pigtail Splitter - Monoprice.com to route the video splitter from your cable box to the outdoor projector, and use the line in feature on your sonos to get the audio signal into the sonos environment.

For the computer setup, easy way to get the audio is to get a headphone to rca adaptor cable similar to this: 7inch Premium 3.5mm Stereo Male to 2RCA Female 22AWG Cable (Gold Plated) - Black - Monoprice.com and then patch that into the same line in on the connect (or a play 5 speaker).

+1

we use splitters all the time for people who don't want to be paying for a ton of boxes n thier home. Say a tv for a bar area that is flanked by a dedicated theatre. A lot of times both aren't going at the same time or they can both play the same movie if someone comes out of the room and doesn't want to mix part of the movie while gettting a drink or snack.

splitters r cheap anymore.

We're first-time pool owners and right after our pool was built (before sod was laid) we added a Sonance-Sonarray sound system connected to Sonos. Having Spotify, Amazon Music, Pandora, etc. right at our fingertips while enjoying the pool is amazing. I couldn't imagine our pool without it. [h=3][/h]

My head is spinning. I had an outdoor system that worked really well until my Pioneer receiver stopped streaming Pandora. Apparently something between the two companies caused Pioneer to stop streaming Pandora.

I have a pair of Yamaha 150 speakers (120 max watt) under my eaves and a pair of TIC GS-3 150-Watt (each) inground speakers that are set around the pool. The TIC are like those you see at amusement parks and put out sound 360 degrees which is great when doing yard work.

I bought a Sonos, but my Pioneer receiver doesn't play nice with Sonos either. I have to control the settings of my Pioneer receiver by plugging it into my TV, but I recently upgraded that to a smart TV and the Pioneer doesn't play nice with that either. Basically it is a brick.

So, that brings me to my question, what brand/model receiver/amp are you using for your sonos setup?

I just need a receiver/amplifier that will allow me to plug it into the Sonos and will have enough power for my speakers (~500 watts) and it really doesn't have to do anything else. The problem is that all of the receivers on the market want to add on extra things that I don't need $$$$ and many don't allow for optical input... they appear to just have optical out and not optical in.

Thanks!

My head is spinning. I had an outdoor system that worked really well until my Pioneer receiver stopped streaming Pandora. Apparently something between the two companies caused Pioneer to stop streaming Pandora.

I have a pair of Yamaha 150 speakers (120 max watt) under my eaves and a pair of TIC GS-3 150-Watt (each) inground speakers that are set around the pool. The TIC are like those you see at amusement parks and put out sound 360 degrees which is great when doing yard work.

I bought a Sonos, but my Pioneer receiver doesn't play nice with Sonos either. I have to control the settings of my Pioneer receiver by plugging it into my TV, but I recently upgraded that to a smart TV and the Pioneer doesn't play nice with that either. Basically it is a brick.

So, that brings me to my question, what brand/model receiver/amp are you using for your sonos setup?

I just need a receiver/amplifier that will allow me to plug it into the Sonos and will have enough power for my speakers (~500 watts) and it really doesn't have to do anything else. The problem is that all of the receivers on the market want to add on extra things that I don't need $$$$ and many don't allow for optical input... they appear to just have optical out and not optical in.

Thanks!

I'm assuming you bought the connect and not the connect amp as you could have just wired your current speakers up to it or am I misunderstanding your problem? If correct, return the connect and get the connect amp for a extra $140-$150 it'll solve your issue.

Salty

I'm assuming you bought the connect and not the connect amp as you could have just wired your current speakers up to it or am I misunderstanding your problem? If correct, return the connect and get the connect amp for a extra $140-$150 it'll solve your issue.

Salty

Yes I bought the connect hoping I could use my amp to power my speakers. I'm no expert but it looked like the connect amp would have difficulty powering all 4 speakers. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Yes I bought the connect hoping I could use my amp to power my speakers. I'm no expert but it looked like the connect amp would have difficulty powering all 4 speakers. Please correct me if I am wrong.

It depends on the ohm ratings. It could be done if the speakers are paired in 2 and the ohm ratings still work. I believe 8ohm speakers will work when paired (4 total) into the Connect: Amp but 4ohm speakers will require more power than the amp can deliver.

It depends on the ohm ratings. It could be done if the speakers are paired in 2 and the ohm ratings still work. I believe 8ohm speakers will work when paired (4 total) into the Connect: Amp but 4ohm speakers will require more power than the amp can deliver.

That's correct, the TIC's are 8ohm, not sure on his Yahmaha's but likely 8ohm as well so that should work.

Salty

The only thing worth noting is that if you pair them, then all 4 will be dedicated to one zone. I have a ~$300 Sony amp that I use to power 3 zones. Pool, patio, and living room. In the long run for me it was worth the extra money for the flexibility. Obviously then you need more Connect players.

My TICs are 8ohm and are 75 and 100 feet away from the sonos/receiver setup. My Yamahas are 6ohm and about 30 feet away. I believe I lose power at at longer distances, so a sonos amp would have difficulty keeping up with my demands.

The only thing worth noting is that if you pair them, then all 4 will be dedicated to one zone. I have a ~$300 Sony amp that I use to power 3 zones. Pool, patio, and living room. In the long run for me it was worth the extra money for the flexibility. Obviously then you need more Connect players.

grumpiebk, what brand is your sony amp?

I'm a big SONOS believer as well for indoors, but SONOS doesn't have anything wireless that is water resistant for outdoors. I'm investigating the new Bose SoundLink Revolve Plus, as a possible solution for my outdoor needs (360 degree speaker, water resistant, Bluetooth enabled).

Does anyone know if there are any issues with having different speaker generations? I would hope not. There are some that are not in too bad of shape on the used market....thinking about picking some of them up to go with my Play 5. But they are an older generation.

Agree, I think it is fine. They push software updates to the speakers every now and then. There should be no issue with the speakers getting updated with the latest aoftware. And I've been building my system for a couple of years at least so some of my speakers are two or more years older than than others.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.