Some help with a pool filter that sprung a leak

Jun 5, 2017
Manchester NH
I'm new to pools and bought a house a few years ago where there was a "dipping pool".

It's an octagonal pool only about 4.5 feet deep in the center and 3 feet deep on the edges.
From edge to edge it's 24 feet
I'm estimating the size at around 12,000 cubic feet.

I have a Hayward 1HP pump (replaced the pump last year) and what seems to be a really old Hayward sand filter. So old the label has been sun bleached and is unreadable.
The filter sprung a leak a few nights ago and water was spraying a good 30 feet away. There was a horizontal split under the flange where the valve is clamped on.
Capture+_2017-06-04-08-23-40.jpg

Given the 1HP pump and 12,000 cubic feet of water I'm thinking of the S244T or S270T because in looking at pump diagrams I think my pump may put out around 45-60 GPM.
However this seems like a total overkill given my pool size.

Any advice would be appreciated. I'm a bit of a newbie in this area. I don't know what I don't know at this point.

Hayward.jpg

0604170857d-1.jpg

0605172039-1.jpg

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

First off, 12,000 cubic feet would be a 90,000 gallon pool ... so that can't be correct :D
Assuming you really mean 12k gallons ... then a minimum 20" diameter sand filter would be a fine size for your pool. Do not get caught up in the flow ratings, etc.

There is nothing really wrong with going with a larger filter, just means that you would not have to clean it as often. Although if you go too large then the pump may not adequately backwash it.

I would suggest the S270T.

When backwashing, you're usually near the pumps maximum flow because there's not much resistance.

Ideal backwash rate is about 15 gpm/sqft.

I would suggest that the filter be sized at 75 % of max pump flow rate ÷ 15 = target surface area.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.