Solid State Relays and Pool Pump

balajibv

Aug 24, 2020
Florida
My mechanical timer started falling behind by some minutes and now its behind by few hours. Instead of replacing it with another mecha I thought of putting some Solid State Relays and a NodeMCU. My question is has anyone had experience using SSR with pool motors? Here are the specs and the datasheet.
  • Input Voltage: 3-32V DC
  • Output Voltage: 24-380V AC
  • Output Current: 25A
  • Package Include: 2 x Solid State Relay + 2 x Heat Sink
Im planning to use 1 for each hot line. Then drive the Input with a 3.3v input from the NodeMCU. I read in this article that there are issues with SSR and North American 220v circuit. Any thoughts? Agreed this article is from 2014 and the SSR is latest. Any inputs would be highly helpful, before I go down this path too far!

B,

Seems to me that as long as you are just turning the pump on and off and not trying to somehow modulate the voltage, there should not be a problem..

I use a solid state relay to control a wood shop dust collection motor and it has been working for about 20 years, maybe longer..

That said, I have no clue what a " NodeMCU" is but assume some type of microprocessor card that you would be using as the timer..

Thanks,

Jim R.

Reactions: balajibv
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.