Solar System Basics

DucPool

Mar 23, 2019
Bay Area, California
My pool is currently under construction by my licensed pool contractor and I'm looking to do the solar heating portion my self. I'm having them upgrade the control panel to a Jandy Aqualink PDA and the pump to a variable speed Jandy stealth pro series pump. From my research the Jandy is capable of controlling the solar among other things, but it is just the controller.

Aside from a 3 way valve with actuator and a temperature sensor kit, is anything else required for controls?

TEMPERATURE SENSORS:

From what I've read there are typically 2 sensors, 1 on the intake from the pool and 1just down stream of the solar collectors, is this correct? From this the controller and see if there is enough temperature rise to continue running the pump or to see if the incoming pool water has reached the set temperature.

If anyone has a decent resource online please send me that way.

I

Duc

Welcome to TFP.

I'm not an expert on this stuff but I did install my own Jandy iAqualink 2.0 RS automation system. In my case I had the solar installed before I added Jandy automation so it uses an independent Hayward Goldline solar controller. You are correct that you will use 2 temp sensors to determine the temp difference on the outlet of the panels to the pool return temp. The temp difference determines the position of your solar by-pass valve. This way if you have a dark cloud and rain pass over the control will close the bypass valve so you don't cool off the pool. It can also be used to cool the pool at night if it gets too hot.

Can you please add some details on the pool and each piece of equipment along with the model numbers. Do you have an integrated spa? I"m pretty certain your Jandy control will do solar control. If you add the model number I can confirm. Also, you may want to consider the wifi model instead of the PDA controller. This way you can use your phones to control with the free app and you can control the pool anywhere you have an internet connection. What brand of solar panels are you using?

I hope this helps.

Chris

Duc,

The three way valve that controls the solar system is normally a special one that has a bleed down function... With an automation system I believe that you have one additional temperature sensor that mounts up on the panels. The other sensor is a normal part of the automation that measures the pool water temperature.. Whenever the pool water is below the water temp you want, and the solar water temperature is above the pool water temperature, the solar valve turns on and allow the water to flow through the panels and send warmer water to the pool.

The automation system will also tell the pump to increase to some preset speed to make the solar panels work the best.

In the middle of the summer you can reverse the process so that the panels can cool the pool.

I am not a Jandy guy, so I don't know the exact details for your system, but they all work about the same way.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Just a clarification. The solar temperature sensor measures the sun's heat and not the water temperature at the panels. The solar sensor should be close to the panels and exposed to the sun.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.