Solar-powered copper algaecide device

May 22, 2013
Dallas, TX
Anybody have any experience with a solar-powered copper algaecide device that seems to work by electrolysis? I have read the downsides of using a copper-based algaecide but this device seems to put the copper ions right into the water without a chemical carrier compound.

It still puts copper into your pool. This will result in staining and green hair and green fingernails -----

Bleach not only keeps algae away but sanitizes your water from bacteria and other nasty things ---- use bleach.

Take care.

Maintaining your FC above minimum at all times for your CYA, [FC/CYA][/FC/CYA], will prevent algae and disease transmission by killing pathogens, bacteria and viruses in your pool.

Even if you didn't mind staining your pool, kids, dogs, swimsuits, etc with copper you still have to maintain chlorine in your pool to keep it sanitary and prevent disease transmission so why bother with the extra cost?

It isn't the "other ingredients" in copper algaecide that causes the problems associated with copper algaecides, it is the COPPER!

As I have been saying every time someone brings this piece of junk up, if you want copper in your pool just put copper in your pool. A solar powered ionizer is a very expensive and slow way to add a few dollars worth of copper to a pool. I mean, you are going to deal with staining on your plaster (try doing a search for all the people looking for help removing those stains, yikes) and hair and all that. Oh, and also copper isn't a sanitizer so you either have an unsanitary pool or chlorinate like normal so there is no real reason for an additional algaecide anyway. But if someone wanted the extra challenge that comes with using copper then just dump some in, no need to beat around the bush with some solar ionizer gimmick.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.