Solar Pool heater...

May 11, 2018
Lexington, KY
So my wife is freaking about a heater. We only need it for about a week to heat the pool up. Naturally it will get warm after that and in fact too warm during the summer.

A few questions I have. I only want to use this for a week or two at the most. So I'm thinking something very temporary. We have a house that is about 28' high so the roof in my mind is not an option.
I'm thinking but might be stupid (as losing a jet for water flow in the pool)...
A few of these (2x12 solar panels) laid out on the cement where people RARELY ever go in the back. Hooked to a return jet and let it flow back into the pool?
Thoughts? My pool is not near my pump and equipment so to hook into that at the pump really leaves me no great place to put the solar covers plus I want this very temporary where I will put it in use it for a week or two and pull it out and roll it up for next year or maybe use to get an extra week of use in the fall.

Last edited:
May I suggest a solar blanket? We've been in our house for 14 years - and we're on our 3rd blanket and we've not heated our pool in 12 years. If you have a spa then I understand the use of a heater but otherwise - it's considerably cheaper than running a heater, especially if you don't intend on using that heater all that much.

So we have a solar blanket and we do not need super warm water only to get us into it quicker. This year has been heck here in Kentucky for weather usually we start with great warm weather in first second week of April and we now just got to that point now more than a month late. I opened two weeks ago and my wife wants in now... So my reasoning for the post.

I have a solar blanket and it works great like I said one week of really warm weather I can have my pool heated for the entire summer and everyone happy. The reasoning for not needing it all the time is our pool gets really warm. Last year our blanket took a dump so we just had it open all year but the year before that our pool (not kidding) got up to 98 degrees in July! This was sickly warm. Keeping the pool in the 80's here is easy after May.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.