Solar Pool Heater Options

Mar 29, 2013
This year I would like to extend our swimming season and consider installing a solar pool heater. I need some help with ideas on how it can be done and what should I expect.
  1. I have a 24' above-ground pool.
  2. Location - Chicago.
  3. Currently, I can think of only two locations where solar panels can be installed.

OPTION A - a screen room roof on each side is 11'x8'. I would be able to accommodate three 2'x10' panels on each side what should give me about ~120 sqf of solar panels.
    Cons. This is the north side of the house and will be partially shaded in the morning and evening. I will have to run two lines underground. It will cost me extra as I would prefer to get someone to do that due to the complexity of the project.
    Pros. Esthetically pleasing solution.

OPTION B - build three 10x4 boards and place them on the backside of the oversized pool deck. It will give me ~120 sqf of solar panels. This sounds like a DIY project that I can tackle by myself.
    Cons. Not visually appealing. Takes space on the deck.
    Pros. The cheaper solution, better sun exposure, smaller energy losses due to location.
Questions.
  1. What location would you consider?
  2. Would you recommend any 10'x2' and 10'x4' solar heater panels? It looks like the most common size is 20'x2'.
  3. What is the best place to purchase them?
  4. I have a local guy who builds custom heater panels (4'x4' goes for $130). Should I consider that option?
    custom.jpg

Here are the pictures of options A and B.
IMG_5480-4.jpg
IMG_5477-1.jpg
IMG_5478-2.jpg
IMG_5479-3.jpg

I don't think I'd go with the local guy's panels. I just don't see how they can even come remotely close to supporting a sufficient flow rate. I have 450sq ft of solar panels in about the most ideal setup possible: south facing, no shade obstructions, on a single story roof close to the pool equipment. I cover my pool at night, and I still have to run the solar at 45gpm for around 3-6 hours a day to keep it above 84F in the early and late months of the season, and my pool only holds a little bit more water than yours. I'd be surprised if you got more than a few gpm out of several of those custom panels combined.

Can you maybe build a tilted scaffolding next to the tree on the other side of the pool? That way you'll be able to have south facing panels in greater quantity. 120sq ft isn't much for a pool your size. A rough rule of thumb I've heard is 1:1 panel : pool surface area, and my experience bears that out. I imagine 10' long panels would be fine.

Buy a fafco solar bear 4x20, build that stand in front of your pool deck thereby saving deck space. Run away from those custom ones, not enough surface area and the piping is too big.
Fafco solar bear panels 4x20 are priced well. Do you know if they have a smaller product 10'-16' long. The problem is that the length of my deck is only 16' and I would not want for it to stick out.
Honestly, I am concerned about the visual impact it will have.

Are these panels bendable? Can they be installed around the pool or even hang on the pool walls? Are they heavy?

I don't think I'd go with the local guy's panels. I just don't see how they can even come remotely close to supporting a sufficient flow rate. I have 450sq ft of solar panels in about the most ideal setup possible: south facing, no shade obstructions, on a single story roof close to the pool equipment. I cover my pool at night, and I still have to run the solar at 45gpm for around 3-6 hours a day to keep it above 84F in the early and late months of the season, and my pool only holds a little bit more water than yours. I'd be surprised if you got more than a few gpm out of several of those custom panels combined.

Can you maybe build a tilted scaffolding next to the tree on the other side of the pool? That way you'll be able to have south facing panels in greater quantity. 120sq ft isn't much for a pool your size. A rough rule of thumb I've heard is 1:1 panel : pool surface area, and my experience bears that out. I imagine 10' long panels would be fine.
Yes, I am concerned about the number of panels. The right amount of panels will take a lot of space and possibly be an eyesore. I will try a solar cover first before moving with a larger project.

If you don't want a huge solar array in your yard, have you considered a heat pump? I don't know much about them, but I think they produce quite a bit more heat than solar, and will also be able to maintain the temperature on cloudy days. You probably wouldn't even need to run it for most of the season.

Heat pump only out performs a solar system when cloudy or overcast. A properly sized solar array can show gains of up to 2 degrees per hour in ideal conditions. Install costs on both are very similar but while solar is basically free, heat pumps can be expensive to Run.

Reactions: kevinskii
Heat pump only out performs a solar system when cloudy or overcast. A properly sized solar array can show gains of up to 2 degrees per hour in ideal conditions. Install costs on both are very similar but while solar is basically free, heat pumps can be expensive to
Of course you are correct. The specs for my 450 sq ft solar array suggest that it will produce roughly 430,000 BTUs under ideal conditions. When I read it yesterday I thought, "that can't be right, that exceeds my 400k BTU gas heater. They must be using a different time unit, like BTUs per day." But thinking back to last season, I believe it can indeed match or exceed the gas heater's output on a sunny summer day.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.