Solar pool covers

May 24, 2015
Lynbrook
So I want to try a solar pool cover for my 12x18 above ground pool just wanted to see if anyone has any luck with them I was looking at the ones on Amazon since they are cheaper than any pool store... are they cut to fit and do I have to buy a spool to roll them up?

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

They do work for bringing the temp up and keeping the heat in at night.. You dont "need" a reel but they are nice

NFxFE1Wh.jpg

The 8 mil covers are good and you want to take it off to let the pool "breath" for a day in the sun about 2 times a week :)

We love our solar cover. Didn't have to cut ours to shape tho.
My.mother in law has a solar heater that goes on the roof, no solar cover... we opened our pools at the same time (she doesn't live far away) our pool was 84 and hers 74.

Solar covers are great for keeping in heat at night. Yesterday high temp was 85 and pool temp was 86. Low temp last night was 62 and the pool was 85 this morning.

RollTide - I just bought the thickest clear one I could get from Doheny. Longest warranty seems to correlate with price and positive comments on the 3 or so sites I shopped. I still need to cut mine and decide about reel/roller vs. wrestling. I am definitely leaning toward reel, but I'm over 30' long, and the wrestling is a real pain. When off, I lose water to evaporation at a pretty disturbing rate -- visible in 2 hot days, when on, much better. It brought up the temperature pretty quickly, and I'm happy with it on my in-ground.

Hey, cowboycasey - What's with the "breathing"?? Is there chemical reaction/consumption/other are you trying to fend off, or something more sinister like algea??

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
RollTide - I just bought the thickest clear one I could get from Doheny. Longest warranty seems to correlate with price and positive comments on the 3 or so sites I shopped. I still need to cut mine and decide about reel/roller vs. wrestling. I am definitely leaning toward reel, but I'm over 30' long, and the wrestling is a real pain. When off, I lose water to evaporation at a pretty disturbing rate -- visible in 2 hot days, when on, much better. It brought up the temperature pretty quickly, and I'm happy with it on my in-ground.

Hey, cowboycasey - What's with the "breathing"?? Is there chemical reaction/consumption/other are you trying to fend off, or something more sinister like algea??

I have a 16 mil cover but even the 8 mil covers are keeping the CC's in the pool and you will see them climb over a couple days.. I get a 1 cc within 3 days and if I take the cover off in the morning the CC is gone by afternoon..

I am from southern california and my pool came with a blue cover which lasted about three years. I went ahead and bought one from Leslie's, the clear that is supposed to be the best, well that one only last me about two years, it is falling apart, all bubles are in my pool everytime i remove it, it is really frustrating. From what i can read here is that it doesn't matter which cover you buy, it will last the same. So my question is where can i find one with a good price, i guess i will buy the blue one or you think i should buy that one from leslie's?
in a separate question, i have a reel for the cover and it moves a lot when i uncover and cover it, i have been thinking on getting an electric one, any suggestions on that?

thank you.

Our covers always seem to last about 3 years before ripping excessively and dealing with tons of floating bubbles. This year, I bought a heavier duty 13mil one from Home Depot (of all places) that came with a complete 3 year warranty and prorated 7 year warranty.

When I purchased, I thought my CC doubled the warranty, but that was just faulty memory on my part. My CC extends the warranty by 1 year, so it effectively has a 4 year complete warranty.

I wished I would have bought a thinner material, because this is pretty heavy for my wife and daughter on the reel. To get it off the reel holder at the edge of the pool and onto the reel holder on a post, you have to carry it over your head for the distance. I'm afraid they'll trip and end up damaging their shoulder, so I've been trying to do it for them if I anticipate them being in the pool.

My bubble cover is in the middle of it's 4th season of use.
It's funny, near the end of last summer, the shallow side of it started losing the bubble tops in
a few places. But this year whoa! tons of them have come off. Slightly annoying and I'm finding
those bubble circle things everywhere, even in the house. Saw one that got tracked into the bathroom
floor inside the house. Time for a new one!

It's just not worth the weight of the heavier ones and they don't last any longer than the thinner
cheaper ones.

[QUOTE="borjis, post: 1682133, member:
It's just not worth the weight of the heavier ones and they don't last any longer than the thinner
cheaper ones.
[/QUOTE]

My cover was the 16 mil thick one. While the tarp part of the cover was much stronger (and a PITA to pull on and off), the bubbles themselves were the same super thin ones. My bubbles are what failed in the end. On the other side of the coin, i have had several friends who didn’t have reels rip their thinner covers before the bubbles popped. There may not be a one size fits all answer to this one.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.