Solar pool covers - marketing vs reality?

May 29, 2018
Sydney, Australia
I'm considering a 'solar' pool cover to reduce evaporation when it (finally) gets warm and hopefully help maintain a higher temp whether I'm heating or not.

As with all Pool related stuff, there is a lot of marketing. The fact that I can't see explicit dos/donts on this site makes me expect that there really isn't a lot of difference between them. But best to check!

The main tangible differences I can see is thickness of material (250 micron or 400 or 525) - which then changes the warranty they'll give.

If anyone has any tips on things I must have, or must avoid then that would be great.

Thanks in advance
M.

We have a daisy cover and roller. The company who installed our heat pump provided it but it is cheaper/thinner one although daisy is a good brand. I think total cost of cover and roller was around the $250-300 mark and that was installed. The advice here is to get the cheapest as they need replacing regularly, regardless. I also find mine very easy to roll. Cover on or off in under a minute. I have a love/hate relationship with my cover as it’s so big and ugly, but remind myself function over fashion.

Thanks to you both for the quick response. I've seen Daisy coming up in searches might give it a go. Looks like 1k for roller plus cover.

I don't like the look of it either, but I want to swim asap and the heat pump is a slow project by comparison. So far only the lizard that lives in the garden swims...

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.