Solar plumbing question

jasong

Mar 10, 2017
House Springs
I have a question on my solar panel install. Does the three way need to be "leaky"? I have a spare Hayward 3 way and actuator that I planned on using. Is there really a reason to allow the panels to drain thru the 3 way since I run my pump 24/7. I thought I read some place that it is bad to leave water in the panels all day but I dont see any way around it. I may be over thinking this. Lines to roof are all sloped back towards pump and there are manual low point drains for winter draining

Thanks

If you are using a "solar" valve it has a drain built in, that allows the panels to drain. I bought a Pentair SolarTouch controller for $225 and it included the control box (that also controls my Intelliflo pump), the solar valve, actuator, and two temprature sensors. One for the panels and one for water temp.

If you add a crossover between the solar supply and return lines, then you would not need the 3 way to be leaky.

Why are you running your pump all day? The may never drain while the pump is running.

Yes, they need to drain. The water will overheat if it stays in the panels causing pressure issues. All panel makers that I am aware of recommend having the panels drained when not in use.

It is a Pentair solar valve. My pump runs at 1100 rpm on solar standby. Sometimes it runs 24x7 if trees are dropping debris. Otherwise it runs 8a to 10p when I'm trying to heat the pool. The drain down valve opens and the panels drain when the pump is at 1100 rpm or 1200 rpm. But, they do not drain if the pump is at 1500 rpm because the pressure keeps the flapper in the solar valve closed.

I recently started running my pump at 1500 when the heat pump is on and that's when I realized the solar panels won't drain at 1500 rpm. It was partly sunny and solar shut off for a while. When solar turned back on the water was HOT! So, I did some investigating.

The Pentair solar valve isn't just a "leaky valve". It has a small one way valve in the gate of the three way valve that allows the panels to drain once the pump is off.

Why are you running a 24/7 schedule? Even if I wanted to extend my schedule to run the VS pump at a very low speed for extra filtration, I would still have it shut down at some point.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I'm not familiar with automation systems. Does the EasyTouch serve as a solar control and operate the VS pump? If not the SolarTouch kit is a real bargain. Valve, actuator, both sensors and control box for $225. That's about list on the valve and actuator alone.

If u have a solar diverter valve do U need a check valve between it and ur filter to keep the drain down from back washing the filter? Is the drain down through the check valve in the diverter enough to cause backwash in the filter? I have a DE filter.
Thanks

You need a check valve between the filter and the 3-way valve regardless of the type of diverter you have because the water will be draining down the solar return side of the plumbing too when the pump is off

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.