Solar panels needs to be specific for tile roof?

dannieboiz

Jan 16, 2015
San Jose, CA
I just bought some 2nd hand Fafco panels that are only a couple years old and half of them brand new never installed. I just spoke to an installer and was told that I can't use these panels on my tile roof and he recommended that I get the newer panels that have separated tubing that doesn't act like a windsail. While the logic is correct, this is all news to me. Can anyone confirm or deny this? Are there ways to remedy this? I'm sure there's a way to install this because I've seen them on tile roof before.

I recently bought a fafco solar bear panel for my pool and the manual says the following:

For roof installations, the roof must be composition asphalt or equivalent. The solar collectors cannot be mounted directly
on roof surfaces that are not smooth and flat, such as tile roofs and metal roofs.

appearantly you can build a rack using 2x4 or other materials to create a secure anchor points for the straps over the tile roof. I'm seeing system that utilize aluminum bars. Hoping someone with experience can chime in as this seems to be a guarded trade secret that isn't talk about much online. :(

Here are a couple of pics I found on Google photo of fafco panels installed on tile roofs. Solardirect.com sells hardware to install vortex panels on tile a tile roof. Maybe that will work.

Attachments

• 1503327189_blob.jpeg.jpg
    1503327189_blob.jpeg.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 20
  • 8a214fec2ba6d421a34dfd7e0edd31fd.jpg
    8a214fec2ba6d421a34dfd7e0edd31fd.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 20
thanks pooldv, I was told Fafco have a model designed specifically for tile roof. The holes are not attached to one another leaving air gaps to allow winds to pass through so the panels don't act like a sail. Maybe these are photos of them.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.