Solar Panel Vacuum Relief Valve & Variable Speed Pump

J3G

Mar 8, 2015
Orlando, FL
New solar panel installation on my pool. Everything is normal while pump is at full speed. When pump changes to low speed I think the vacuum valve is sucking air into the system because the return jets are bubbling nosily and bubbles appear in the solar return check valve window. There is definitely still flow to the panels based on the check valve and warm water at the return jets.

Is there a way to adjust the vacuum valve? The solar plumbing 'circuit' is controlled by a temp actuated valve so simply bypassing solar during low speed would be difficult without defeating the purpose of the temp controlled valve.

Anybody else deal with this issue?

On my system, the solar controller ramps up the speed of the VS pump, to a preselected speed that keeps the valve closed and properly supports the solar system. Once done, the solar returns control to the pump’s onboard timer/speed controller.

The answer isn’t adjusting the vacuum valve, it’s adjusting the pump speed high enough to keep the valve closed. Solar systems are most efficient when they raise the temp of large amount of water by a few degrees vs a small flow of hotter water. You want plenty of water flow through a solar system vs a minimal flow. I see you have a Hayward Pump, so I don’t think the Pentair SolarTouch controller I’m using would communicate with it. What solar control did they use and is it communicating with the pump?
If the solar was recently added, contact the company to correct the problem.

Last edited:
Reactions: CaptainCannonball
The controller is "Goldline" and only has lines for temp sensors. Yes I'm going to have the installers come back to resolve. I assume they will want to adjust the low speed's gpm upwards like you mentioned. Always like to understand the issue before a crew shows up. Thanks for the help

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.