Solar panel leak/s

Sep 13, 2007
Hi,

One of the solar panels has two leaks. One leak is easier to get as it's near the middle of the collector which seems to be made of hard rubber.

I inserted two (by accident) plugs. One plug is up there (inside) and the other plug closest to the cut I put liquid nail adhesive and inserted.

The other leak in in the pvc. I ended up splicing and using two couplins along with 16" of white pvc to marry to the existing black pipe. I used purple primer (not sure if this is correct when you marry black and white pvc) and then added blue pvc glue. I apparently did not put enough glue on one side (see photo with red circle which indicates the location of the leak). It still has a slight leak (minimal).

My question/s; how do I successfully repair the hard rubber collector using the plugs? The leak still exists though it's very minimal.

Can I put some type of silicone or epoxy to stop the leak in the white pvc couplin that still has a slight leak?

Third and last leak seems to be coming from the underside of the collector at the connecting point (where the hard rubber collector meets the tubing). This has me scratching my head.

Thanks in advance.

Pool leak video (under side leak)

Second video

IMG_2238.jpgIMG_2240.jpgIMG_2246.JPG

Hard to tell without being able to see the actual pipes but what is the black pipe made of? It looks like you are trying to glue PVC to ABS or CPVC pipe. While there is glue and fittings that you can do that with, the "standard blue PVC glue with purple primer" method won't work. At the very least you need the right glue. You may also have to use only the same pipe.

Hard to tell without being able to see the actual pipes but what is the black pipe made of? It looks like you are trying to glue PVC to ABS or CPVC pipe. While there is glue and fittings that you can do that with, the "standard blue PVC glue with purple primer" method won't work. At the very least you need the right glue. You may also have to use only the same pipe.

I don't know what the black pipe is exactly (hoping someone would call this out). I know the black pipe looks dull and not like the shiny plumber pipe I see at Home Depot. What would be the correct glue to use to marry PVC to ABS (if that's what it is; how can I confirm)?

Are there no markings on the black pipe? Unfortunately, without markings anything I say is going to be a WAG. As far as the right type of glue, i found this PVC to ABS transition glue. BUT, there are so many different types of pipe there is no telling what it is without more info. Do you have a spec sheet or owners manual for the solar system you can post? or even a manufacturer and model number? that would go a long way toward helping you.

Reactions: jvmagic
Are there no markings on the black pipe? Unfortunately, without markings anything I say is going to be a WAG. As far as the right type of glue, i found this PVC to ABS transition glue. BUT, there are so many different types of pipe there is no telling what it is without more info. Do you have a spec sheet or owners manual for the solar system you can post? or even a manufacturer and model number? that would go a long way toward helping you.
I wish I had info on the solar panels. I'd have to dig the docs that were handed to us when the house was purchased 15+yrs ago.
The leak in the PVC connection was very minor so I ended up using epoxy clay around the tubing and the leak is no more :)
I hope this is it for the remainder of the swim season ( I have enough with cleaning filters etc).

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.