Solar heating experience in SoCal

nefarious

Silver Supporter
Aug 8, 2017
San Diego
I'm looking for some feedback on how well solar heating works to extend the season. My concern is that May and June are notoriously overcast which in my mind would minimize the solar systems ability to heat the pool to a comfortable temp.

Thoughts?

I've only just put in my panels. However, my pool is somewhere around 75% shade. We had a bunch of overcast days and I was still getting +5 deg out of the panels, which is the same as I get during full sun. Granted the pool was 82 at the time, so in the upper 80's it might have been lower.

I live in Santa Clarita, California (Northern part of LA) and we have solar panels. We love them. In my opinion they are worth every penny. Our pool can get in the 90s. We have a relatively large solar heating system and our pool is pretty small. The pool and the panels both get sun all day long. Warm water uses more chlorine but it sure is nice to walk in without a chill.

Yup solar cover first off.
I am in Canada and love my solar cover, panel and pentair solar controller.
Look at the options;
Gas = heater $$$ + $$$ in gas + $$$ to run pump
Heat pump = pump $$$ + $$$ in electricity + $$$ to run the pump
Solar = panels $$$ + $$$ to run the pump
May 16/17 my pool was at 90 F

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.