Solar heater installed before filter: how to check and unclog

anton_j

Jul 8, 2019
Humid subtropical
A few months ago, we had a solar heating system installed for our pool. Unfortunately, I only recently noticed that the solar heater was installed *before* the filter (i.e. between the pump and filter), instead of *after* the filter. To the best of my knowledge, this is a big no-no, since all the sand and insects and leaf debris are being pumped directly into the heating system, potentially clogging the tiny pipes.

I would appreciate some advice on the following:

* Is it possible (for a professional company that specializes in solar heaters) to check all the tiny pipes in a solar heating system and unclog them, if necessary? Or should the entire system rather be replaced?

* This problem is only the latest in a long list of frustrations with the company that did the installation, so I don't trust that company at all. In case we do get that company to check the system and they claim that they have unclogged everything, would it be possible for me (or a pool maintenance guy) to double-check that everything is in fact OK?

IMHO, you need to get the solar re-plumbed downstream of the filter. Checking and unclogging all the tiny pipes is impossible. As you surmise, they'll just continue to clog over and over due to the unfiltered water.

The only way to clear the panels, and its no guarantee, would be to disconnect them and flop them over so that the water will flow the other way. It will be a lot of work. I would try this before buying all new panels. And as stated above, re-plumb them to be down stream of the filter first.

The only way to clear the panels, and its no guarantee, would be to disconnect them and flop them over so that the water will flow the other way. It will be a lot of work. I would try this before buying all new panels. And as stated above, re-plumb them to be down stream of the filter first.
This is the only way I was thinking it might be possible as well

Since you are going to be doing a repipe, I would try to do the following;
Adapt the end of the return piping so you can hook up a garden hose to it, do the same with the supply end. Run the supply hose to plants/grass etc to water them.
Once hooked up slowly open the garden hose feeding the return end, crack it slightly wait a bit see how much is coming out of the supply end. Go slowly as you don't want pressure so much as flow thru the panels. After you have a nice steady low flow going thru the panels let it run for a while.
To check to see if you are clear put some filter media (Polyfilla, paper towel) in the bottom of a perforated plastic container. When the Filter media stops discolouring you will have washed as much of the dirt out as is probably going to come out.
Finish repipe.

You will more than likely not get everything out with a mere "flush". I would just reverse the direction of flow, and run them. It may take some time before they clear completely, if at all.

You will be able to tell the cleared areas of the panels as they will feel cool to the touch while you are running the system.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.