ejs873

Jan 29, 2021
North Texas
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hello, I am looking for a solar cover mainly for warming the water earlier and keeping it warm later in the season. Most of the reviews on Amazon are very poor. Does anyone have a recommendation for a good quality solar cover? Thanks

Hello and Welcome to TFP!!
The main purpose of a solar cover isn't to heat the pool. A solar covers biggest benefit is to reduce evaporation and thus helps to retain the heat the pool already has. At night or when windy a lot of heat can be lost. Like blowing on your coffee or soup to cool it off.
Based on this, there is really no difference in cheap thin covers or heavy bulky covers. Thin ones are lighter and easier to move around. Thicker are heavy and bulky. Both only last a few years, so I think it's better to get the cheaper / thinner ones.

Get the cheapest one you can. They all fall apart in just a few summers, no matter what. Maybe that's just our relentless sun in NC.
Agreed. Have used 8 and 12mil clear and blue, replaced at 2-3 years as the sun/chemicals break the bubbles. 20x30 ft pool using a reel. I'm in the East Bay across from San Francisco with lots of sun, dry winds and mild winters. Cover is on nightly and stays on through the winter.
My latest 8mil purchased last August delaminated within a couple of months and trying to get a warranty replacement. I just looked at the same cover and note the absurd requirement:
"Place cover on the pool only when chlorine level is below 2.5 ppm"
I would be growing algae like crazy and swimming in technically unhealthy water if I followed this advice.

Using TFP methods only. Chlorine, muriatic acid, CYA. Heavier 12mil covers did not last longer.1624907227711.png
I am trying to be very consistent with Chlorine levels, avoiding anything higher than 6 or dropping below 4. Manual nearly daily testing and additions.

Reactions: ejs873
Agreed. Have used 8 and 12mil clear and blue, replaced at 2-3 years as the sun/chemicals break the bubbles. 20x30 ft pool using a reel. I'm in the East Bay across from San Francisco with lots of sun, dry winds and mild winters. Cover is on nightly and stays on through the winter.
My latest 8mil purchased last August delaminated within a couple of months and trying to get a warranty replacement. I just looked at the same cover and note the absurd requirement:
"Place cover on the pool only when chlorine level is below 2.5 ppm"
I would be growing algae like crazy and swimming in technically unhealthy water if I followed this advice.

Using TFP methods only. Chlorine, muriatic acid, CYA. Heavier 12mil covers did not last longer.View attachment 350234
I am trying to be very consistent with Chlorine levels, avoiding anything higher than 6 or dropping below 4. Manual nearly daily testing and additions.

I agree. If they cant be used with a decent chlorine level, then they are worthless. I will get a cheap one for this season and see if it helps, maybe extend the swimming season into October!

3 weeks ago I had to throw out the seriously disintegrated cover. I have had little luck with InTheSwim email to get my warranty replacement until today. Finally spoke with MKaylen who looked at the approved warranty and placed an order for me.
I saved the extra pieces of previous covers which I've used overnight for a couple of weeks to prevent excessive water loss. With 85-100* days and winds of 17-23mph, this could amount to 1/2" per day.
The bubbles help a lot. Water temp 2 days ago was up to 88 with 100+ air temps.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.