Solar Cover Problem

Oct 31, 2017
Great Falls
We just installed a solar cover roller on our 21' salt water pool. I am finding it very difficult to roll the cover back onto the pool. The cover sticks together like Saran Wrap. I always need to get back in the pool to separate the two sides. Is there a solution for this "sticky" problem?
Thank You.

We just installed a solar cover roller on our 21' salt water pool. I am finding it very difficult to roll the cover back onto the pool. The cover sticks together like Saran Wrap. I always need to get back in the pool to separate the two sides. Is there a solution for this "sticky" problem?
Thank You.

We had this problem, as well as the issue of it being a pain to clean the leaves, dirt off of the cover before reeling it up. The best I found was for me to pull from one side, and the wife to pull from the other and cover the pull together as the reel spun freely.

But after most of 1 season with one we gave up. It may save some chlorine and raise the temperature slightly, but it wasn't worth the pain to deal with to gain the little temperature we did.

I'm betting an end mounted reel is likely far better in the long run. I'd never consider a center mounted one again.

Do you have a cover to protect the rolled up solar cover from the sun? Once it's on the reel the sun will bake it unless you cover it. Once I started to unreal it I always flipped the first couple of feet back over. That way I could pull it from one side and the leading edge would float on the surface of the water and not dig in. Otherwise, opening by myself pulling on one corner would cause the other corner to try to sink. With two people it's really easy.

The hassle factor and the weight of the cover are one of the reasons we went to an auto cover. My wife was having trouble opening and closing the solar cover.

there seems to be a brand out this year that is just sticky. I got one and I would say this is at least the 7th or 8th cover I have owned, and it just has weird properties. seems pretty sturdy (I actually prefer thin cheap covers because they all rot in a year or two anyway and the light ones are so much easier to deal with but chep covers were rare this year and this was all I could find) but yeah, sticks to itself badly. I was thinking it would go away after some use but it still sticks. my advice is just use it until it starts falling apart and try a different brand. your reel is probably fine.

Reactions: derekm
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.