Solar cover or heat pump?

Zamsaf

May 2, 2018
Central fl
Hello, I am thinking of getting a solar cover for my pool. I am in Central Florida and looking to possibly have the pool warmer a month before swimming season starts. Do solar covers actually work? Is there a specific brand or best one I should be looking for?

What about pool heat pumps are they worth the price? The pool heat pumps heat the pool anytime I want or are they like solar panels?

Heat pumps, similar to solar panels, only work well under certain climate conditions (but those conditions don't match those that restrict solar panels, they each have their own pros and cons). They're both unlike gas heat which can work under virtually all conditions, day or night.

@kimkats is down your way. Maybe she can point some of your TFP neighbors to this thread to give you their take on heat pumps in Florida.

Or... the "bubble-wrap" type pool covers are relatively cheap. You could try one of those this spring to see if it gives you what you're after, before you go down the road of expensive heaters.

I'm in CA, and have a solar heater, but I don't use a cover. I probably get an extra two weeks of swim season on each end (so four week total). I know I could extend my swim season more if I did use a cover, but I don't want to deal with their inconvenience, and I don't want to hide my beautiful pool. So there is no magic solution to heating a pool, they all have their cons (expense, inconvenience, inefficiency, etc).

But this is as good a place as any to explore all that...

A solar cover does work for a couple of degree increase but with a price............they are a pain to get on and off AND they only last a year or so. So get the cheapest one you can find. Others have bought the $$$ ones and they did not last any longer so.........not worth the money.

Heater=without a cover you will be throwing money into the night air. Now if you do a heater/cover combo then you have the best of both worlds as far as swim comfort.

Reactions: wireform
Solar covers do a better job retaining heat as opposed heating the pool. I'm able to start my swim season early, but I need to bump the temp up with the heater before putting the cover on. You will be able to extend your swim season as fall arrives with consistent use of the cover.

Thank you. Anyone in FL know when the water is relatively warm enough to swim again this spring? I’ve only had my pool since last June and want to use it in March if possible.
I would say that is a bit of a loaded question... What direction does your pool face? If it's on the south side of your house, it will heat up a bit faster than anywhere else.

My experience with 2 pools (west of Orlando), let me preface with comfort being around 85 degrees for me... My first house had a 22,000 Gal pool, 8' deep on the west side of the house, no screen. It would get to temp in early June really. Some years a little sooner. Once the heat of the summer kicked it, it stayed relatively consistent. I think the depth was an issue on that pool.

My last pool was on the north side of the house, with a screen enclosure, around 16,000 gal. Again, probably June before I really felt like I didn't need the heater. It also seemed to fluctuate more with the weather. Several rainy days in a row would drop the temp pretty quick. Some of this was shade due to the screen and some related to being on the north side of the house. A heat wave in April/May would get this one up to temp though

Our new build will be on the south side, so I feel better about how things are going to work out.

Now, my opinion on your options...

Solar cover - these work. I had one on my first pool and it definitely extended the season. As Kim mentioned though, it was a PITA to put on, take off, monitor water balance, etc. Plus, you're hiding your pool. But I admit, it absolutely works.

Solar Panels - will help if you have the right roof space/direction. For me, this is the most convenient option. You don't have to make a decision about turning on a heater and spending money to heat, you don't have to plan in advance, etc. They will extend your season, but if we get a warm day in December and you want to use the pool, it's not going to do it for you then. My inlaws in SW florida have solar panels + cover and they can keep their pool in the low 90s easily. I have heard complaints though about reduced roof lifespan with solar panels, so that is something to think about... Not sure if you're a local, but around here, most roofs lives are dictated by when a hurricane comes through. I would say that very few roofs really make it to their full useful life and just get replaced due to age.

Heat Pump - This is what I will have due to spa. Works great if you plan in advance and don't want to swim if it's under say 70 degrees outside (plan way in advance for this). In our last house, we would decide on Thursday/Friday if we wanted to use the pool on the weekend and turn it on depending on the outside temp. Lower temp, turn on Thursday night, higher temp, Friday would be fine. My biggest complaint was that on a Tuesday, if I randomly wanted to use the pool and didn't plan for it, it was a no-go.

In the perfect world, if money was no issue, I would have solar panels and heat pump at a minimum... solar cover + someone to deal with the hassle of it is a huge bonus, but I have tried it before and it's a waste of money for me because I don't want to deal with the hassle.

Reactions: Dirk
I would say that is a bit of a loaded question... What direction does your pool face? If it's on the south side of your house, it will heat up a bit faster than anywhere else.

My experience with 2 pools (west of Orlando), let me preface with comfort being around 85 degrees for me... My first house had a 22,000 Gal pool, 8' deep on the west side of the house, no screen. It would get to temp in early June really. Some years a little sooner. Once the heat of the summer kicked it, it stayed relatively consistent. I think the depth was an issue on that pool.

My last pool was on the north side of the house, with a screen enclosure, around 16,000 gal. Again, probably June before I really felt like I didn't need the heater. It also seemed to fluctuate more with the weather. Several rainy days in a row would drop the temp pretty quick. Some of this was shade due to the screen and some related to being on the north side of the house. A heat wave in April/May would get this one up to temp though

Our new build will be on the south side, so I feel better about how things are going to work out.

Now, my opinion on your options...

Solar cover - these work. I had one on my first pool and it definitely extended the season. As Kim mentioned though, it was a PITA to put on, take off, monitor water balance, etc. Plus, you're hiding your pool. But I admit, it absolutely works.

Solar Panels - will help if you have the right roof space/direction. For me, this is the most convenient option. You don't have to make a decision about turning on a heater and spending money to heat, you don't have to plan in advance, etc. They will extend your season, but if we get a warm day in December and you want to use the pool, it's not going to do it for you then. My inlaws in SW florida have solar panels + cover and they can keep their pool in the low 90s easily. I have heard complaints though about reduced roof lifespan with solar panels, so that is something to think about... Not sure if you're a local, but around here, most roofs lives are dictated by when a hurricane comes through. I would say that very few roofs really make it to their full useful life and just get replaced due to age.

Heat Pump - This is what I will have due to spa. Works great if you plan in advance and don't want to swim if it's under say 70 degrees outside (plan way in advance for this). In our last house, we would decide on Thursday/Friday if we wanted to use the pool on the weekend and turn it on depending on the outside temp. Lower temp, turn on Thursday night, higher temp, Friday would be fine. My biggest complaint was that on a Tuesday, if I randomly wanted to use the pool and didn't plan for it, it was a no-go.

In the perfect world, if money was no issue, I would have solar panels and heat pump at a minimum... solar cover + someone to deal with the hassle of it is a huge bonus, but I have tried it before and it's a waste of money for me because I don't want to deal with the hassle.

Thanks for the detailed response. I have guests coming for the first time in late March, some close family who has gone through some rough times. I really want them to be able to swim.

So my main reason for trying to find heating options is for guests who come once every few months. Before I invest thousands into a pool heater pump, would a solar cover be sufficient to bring the temp up in late March/early April?

My pool is enclosed and on the north side. Now it is half in the sun and half shaded. But once daylight savings changes it’s all in the sun.

If I do invest in a pool heat pump what do those usually go for? My pool is 11k gallons and about 845sqft.

Thanks for the detailed response. I have guests coming for the first time in late March, some close family who has gone through some rough times. I really want them to be able to swim.

So my main reason for trying to find heating options is for guests who come once every few months. Before I invest thousands into a pool heater pump, would a solar cover be sufficient to bring the temp up in late March/early April?

My pool is enclosed and on the north side. Now it is half in the sun and half shaded. But once daylight savings changes it’s all in the sun.

If I do invest in a pool heat pump what do those usually go for? My pool is 11k gallons and about 845sqft.

I would say for that use, the heat pump is your best bet. You can always add a solar cover later to save on the heat losses and subsequently $$, but if you know that you want to use it on a particular weekend, you can turn on the heat pump and have everything ready to go.

I am pricing out 140k BTU systems and the heat pump alone can be from $3000-$5000 depending on the brand and features (some heat pumps also cool if your water gets too warm). I have no idea what the install would cost, you may need to upgrade your electrical service to your equipment. I would discuss with a professional, there may be a tradeoff between a slightly smaller heat pump that wouldn't necessarily require an upgrade.

Once you determine that and the install cost, you may want to explore a gas heater with a propane tank. Heaters themselves are generally cheaper and the tank install will certainly be cheaper than electrical upgrade if necessary. The gas heater will heat the pool very quickly. Sounds like your timeframe may be a challenge though to get through permitting and install.

I'll PM you a contact that does solar and heat pump, he can likely give you some good advice for your situation...

If propane is an option I'd go with it as it'll be much more spontaneous for bringing the water up to temp . Also get a largest heater the space allows as that's also key here. With propane you can greatly extend the shoulder season.

Reactions: AveMaria472

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Solar (bubble wrap) covers will do nothing to extend your season. As others said, they are useful for retaining heat losses while the pool is not in use. And that comes with an inconvenience cost. I bought, used 3 times, and threw mine away as I did not want to deal with it.

Your best bet is a heat pump hands down. It is a true heater and with Florida being humid, it will work well. As long as your temps are 70s (maybe upper 60s) you should be able to get your pool up in the 80s and swim early. You almost for sure will need a new electrical connection for a heat pump as they need 30-50 amps. The heat pump and installation soup to nuts will probably run $5-$7k. They do last upwards of 15 years however with no maintenance so there's that. And they are relatively cheap to run as they are fairly efficient. My gas costs me around $500 plus per month but my neighbor is under $100. We both keep our pool at 90.

Thank you. My pool is a new build and the PB told me it is set up for a heater so hopefully that will cut the costs.

This usually means the plumbing is ready which will save some. Hopefully the electrical has been sized for a heat pump. Ask your builder about electric. You can also check your main electrical box where the circuit (I assume) was added for the pool. What amperage does that circuit say? Post a picture of your equipment pad showing the piping. If both of those were in place, I would buy the heat pump online as you can get them for under $3k and install it myself.

As others say, a solar cover preserves the heat more than it heats the pool. On a bright sunny day, my pool will gain a few degrees with just the solar cover. Personally, I don't find them to be a pain to use if you have a good roller. Since my pool is there just for us, we don't care what it looks like. I built my pool for use, not looks. We also have a heat pump. My wife swims laps each morning so keeping the pool at the proper temperature every day of the week is important.

We installed an LP heater last spring. As another poster stated, get the largest size you have room for. The larger the heater, the quicker it will heat your pool and the easier it will be for the heater to maintain that magic comfy temp. You can view our heater install towards the end of our build thread (see the link in my signature).

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.