Solar cover and PoolSkim

May 19, 2016
Boston, MA
Hello all,

I recently bought and installed PoolSkim (after reading positive reviews on TFP) and I love it... it picks up a lot of debris from my pool.

Now, I am looking at potentially buying a solar cover and a quick search on TFP forums shows the consensus is that it is a useful accessory (please correct if I am wrong). My question is how does it affect the working of PoolSkim, and the standard skimmer / water flow? Specifically my questions are:

1) Can I still use a solar cover with PoolSkim installed (which floats just at the surface of water and sucks water/debris from there)?
2) Do I put the cover only at night, when the pool system is anyway off?
3) If yes, then do I need to remove the cover the next morning before the pump comes on? What if I forget or am away?

Thanks in advance for your response. Happy swimming.

1) Skimming in general does not work with the cover on so there is no reason to use a pool skim. Plus debris lands on the cover and not in the pool so what would you be skimming?
2) I would leave the cover on all the time. For most of the weather conditions, you will retain more heat by leaving the cover on than you gain by removing it. The only except is on very humid days with no wind. But then you may not want the extra heat.
3) See 2

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.