Solar blanket - questions

qdylan

May 21, 2017
Toronto, Ontario
Hi,

My pool water is finally almost TFP clear (thanks everyone!).

I have a solar blanket, and I've heard that it needs to be placed with the bubble-side down.

A few questions about the solar blanket:

1) Does it actually result in a temp increase? Or does it only retain the existing heat?

2) What is the effect on the evaporation of water?

3) What is the effect on the liquid chlorine that I use? Will it result in more or less chlorine being used over time?

4) I used the cover a year ago and stopped using it because it used to collect a lot of dirt that would sink to the bottom when I removed the cover. Any tips? I realize I should hand-skim the cover before removing it, but wondering if the hassle is worth it based on the questions above.

Thank you!

Dylan

We do get a temp bump with ours and does a great job of holding heat a night, it has reduced evaporation, and it holds fc better than without the cover in place.

20x40 IG, Hayward maxflo vs, tagelus t60 sand filter, Taylor test kit, diy solar panels for heating pool water, full size solar blanket to keep the heat we get and of course -
'More fun than you can shake a stick at'

And that dirt that is on top of the solar blanket would have already been in the pool, if the blanket had not been there.

UV consumes FC, so a solar blanket can help maintain Free Chlorine. CC (combined chlorinates) are burned off by UV, so you may also see an increase there. Spend some time studying Pool School it's all explained there.

Some people here have reported success using a leaf blower to blow the loose stuff off of covers before removing the cover.
It was a few years ago when I came to the realization that a pool cover merely stores stuff so it can dump it in all at once right in front of you. I will be trying out the leaf blower trick this fall.
My cover basically does what it is designed to do, which is maintain heat levels by reducing evaporation.
By "shading" the pool it reduces FC loss due to sunlight.
By reducing evaporation you hinder the "out gassing" of cc's so your cc number be higher. I just let my pool breathe a bit before running tests.

One way to deal with dirt etc on the cover is to push it all towards the skimmer with a brush. That way at least it is captured in the skimmer/filter rather than falling into the pool.

18000 IG, SWG, 1/2 HP Tri Star + Solar PV direct DC Lorentz pump, Sand filtrt

The biggest problem we have is getting the thing to roll up half way straight!

20x40 IG, Hayward maxflo vs, tagelus t60 sand filter, Taylor test kit, diy solar panels for heating pool water, full size solar blanket to keep the heat we get and of course -
'More fun than you can shake a stick at'

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.