Sodium Bisulfate vs. Muriatic Acid

FattyLumpkin

Gold Supporter
May 19, 2016
Massachusetts
Hey all - anything inherently wrong with using dry acid vs. MA to lower pH? I have some leftover from before I joined TFP, and my pH has crept up to the point I would like to lower it.

Probably not necessary to answer the question, but my numbers:

FC 7.0
CC 0
CYA 80
pH 7.8
TA 80
CH 250

It's certainly OK to use a limited amount. Using it continuously over time can lead to sulfate deposits/scale in vinyl pools and can attack and permanently scale concrete and plaster surfaces. MA adds no other chemical species to your pool other than ones that are already there. No potential long term side-effects. That's why it's recommended over dry acid. Usually cheaper as well if you shop around.

IC-40 SWCG

Sodium Bisulfate is specifically NOT recommended to be used if you have a SWCG - as you show in your signature.

As Joel stated - it corrodes metal surfaces - which is what your SWCG is.

Take care.

Sulfates added to the water from long term dry acid use can add to scaling and corrosion of the SWG cell. I don't know how long they remain in the water, but I surmise they are similar to CYA/salt/calcium in that regard.

It's really best to use MA in a SWG pool.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.