So many questions - 18' AGP going up, clay soil, XPS foam floor, sand or aggregate to level?

Mr Plow

May 30, 2019
London, Ontario, Canada
Hi All,

I'm new here but have been reading and lurking for a while.

Background: We've had an Intex easy-set pool for a few year but it has bit the dust so we've picked up a used 18'X52" Atlantic steel wall pool locally that we are looking to install but I have many questions prior to putting it up as I want to do this correct the first time:

1. I've excavated down about 10" on the high side of where the pool will be going. We are on clay, and in Ontario so I assume this is going to be heaving in the winter and holding water in the summer during heavy rains. I am trying to figure out what is best to place under the 1-1/2" XPS foam sheets I will be using for the floor. Sand is what I had used to level above the clay with the previous easy-set pool, but we didn't use the XPS sheets then so I'm a bit worried with this sandwiching of layers that if I use sand it *could* wash out someday. Thoughts? Am I better off using some fine gravel under the XPS?

2. Speaking of XPS foam - my plan is to extend foam board beyond the perimeter of the pool, thus having the bottom pool rails sitting on the foam with holes cut out for the posts/uprights to sit on pavers dug into the clay. Any issue with this approach? My choice for this is for a few reasons - first, its going to be way easier to trim the foam after the pool is up as opposed to cutting it to the inner circle of the pool frame. Second, it keeps the floor of the pool lower so we get a bit more depth in our pool water and also the Gladon foam cove we have has a cut out for the lower rail, which to me means it should be installed at the very bottom of the pool wall. Third, it keeps the bottom pool rail away from ground moisture, hopefully prolonging the life of that portion of the pool. My concern is however that the beaded liner may not stretch or come out of the bead receiver as the floor is now a bit lower than the manufacture *may* have made the liner?! I don't believe there should be an issue the weight of the wall on the foam as I don't think there is a ton of downward pressure on those bottom rails - but perhaps Im wrong?

3. What is going to happen in the winter? Is there anything I should be aware of now prep-wise that I should do to minimize any adverse effects from winter?

Thanks very much in advance!

Following closely. We are in northern Ontario on clay soil that is typically fairly soft in spring, hard in summer. I prepped pad last year by removing sod and 4-6" of soil then adding geotextile fabric and granular A gravel. Compacted it and let it settle over winter. Really hoping my 21' pool I'm putting up soon doesn't have any heaving between seasons!

I'm also doing 1" XPS under the pool (inside ring only though, not under walls) and gorilla pad on top of that.

I think you may need to re-think having the foam going beyond the pool and holes cut for the uprights. With my pool my bottom track/ring has to be even with the bottom of the upright as there is a piece the upright fits into that the track slides into. Here is a picture:

This shows how it all works together.

Kim:kim:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.