So many problems - what to fix first? PH, TA or CYA?

Jmischel

Silver Supporter
Jul 14, 2018
Milbank, SD
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Background - I inherited this pool from family that threw every pool store-recommended chemical at it. The pool is 10 years old and has always been treated with pucks and only measured with test strips. Whether or not there was actually any FC, 3 pucks were added every week. No other chemistry was tested, measured or managed. For the last several years, the water has been intermittently cloudy and the water has never sparkled like when it was new. There is very fine sediment on the pool bottom. The robot seems to pick it up and then a few hours later the sediment reappears. There is no obvious signs of algae or gross contamination - just cloudy, turquoise tinted water with a pool floor/steps that simply look dirty no matter how often we clean it.

Last fall, I vowed to get the pool back to something I could be proud of and we could enjoy without being embarrassed by the appearance. I’ve read dozens (maybe hundreds of posts on TFP) and was convinced CYA was my problem. I tested pH, CYA, TA and FC on the Taylor 2006-C test kit. I have trouble with each test:
PH - 7.0
CYA - zero
TA - 200
FC - near zero

The pool was finally opened last week after a long winter. I’m ready to get it in shape but really don’t know where to start. I was sure I should start with CYA but know I need to get my pH up before raising CYA. If I raise pH with soda ash my TA will go even higher. I am currently aerating aggressively to try to raise pH. With CYA at zero, my experience is that dumping liquid chlorine in is fairly useless. I believe eventually I need to do a SLAM but it seems like I have to solve 2 or 3 other issues before I can even consider that.

So, which problem is most critical and in which order to tackle them? I assume that eventually FC is most critical but also the one most dependent on solving the other issues first.

Sorry for the long post but it seems the more info the experts on the forum have, the better the advice given.

Thanks - lots of good people and resources on this forum.

I'm completely new to this with zero expertise, I'm just going to guess at this before you get a good answer and see how close or far off I am.

Add CYA (granulated "Chlorine Stabilizer") as recommended by PoolMath App (not directly into the skimmer, using a sock to dissolve in skimmer or hanging in front of a return jet), then, an hour or so later, after the CYA has dissolved, add liquid chlorine as recommended by PoolMath app. Then retest maybe the next day, aerating the whole time, and see where everything is at.

I'm interested in reading the solution to your problem here, as I am trying to learn as well.

I personally don't know if TA of 200 is high enough to warrant immediate action, someone else here should be able to answer that, but generally FC is first priority. You have a cloudy pool so need to SLAM

1. Get pH to 7.2 - aerating should work until you get an answer on the TA since that is the only way without also raising TA
2. Add enough powder cya to get to 30 using the sock method
3. Start SLAM once pH is 7.2 (can't measure pH at slam level so best to get that to low end first)

1 and 2 can be done together. Once you have added the cya in the sock to the pool assume your cya is 30 (or whatever you added to). It won't show up on a test for at least 24 hours

We know from your description you need to run a SLAM Process. But before you add the stabilizer for the CYA, I have a concern. Since your pH has fallen to the low end, you have next to no FC, and your CYA has disappeared, I would recommend this order:
1 - Using liquid chlorine, increase the FC to "10". Then test the FC in 10 minutes. If the FC is between 5-10 go to step 2. If the FC crashed below 5, increase it right away and test again in 10 minutes. Once you see the FC begin to hold, then go to step 2.
2 - Now that FC seems to be holding, add stabilizer for a CYA target of 30.
3 - Increase & maintain the FC at "12" which is now your official SLAM FC level.

The pH is a bit low, but let's see how it reacts with everything else going on. With a TA of 200, the pH should not stay low for long.

Run the 10-min drill and let us know if you have any questions.

In case you need this ..............

Adding CYA:
To increase CYA via granular stabilizer, place the required amount as calculated by the PoolMath APP into a white sock and place in the poolside skimmer basket. For those concerned about suction flow to the pump, suspending the sock near a return jet or from a floating device will also suffice. Best never to allow undissolved granules to rest directly against the pool surface. After about 30 minutes of soaking, squeeze the sock continuously to help it dissipate. Once dissolved, consider your CYA adjusted to that programmed (target) level. CYA test readings should show a rise in 24-48 hours, however some pools may experience a longer delay to fully register. Best to confirm final CYA in about 5-7 days before adding any more stabilizer/conditioner.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.