So close to installing SWG. I didn’t expect this…Existing Salt Level ~5000ppm

jonpcar

Bronze Supporter
Jun 1, 2016
Gilbert, AZ
I currently run my pool using liquid chlorine but am soon making the switch to SWG.

I’ve read many of the threads that mention “all chlorine pools are already salt pools” and so wondered what I would run into when I finally got a salt test Kit. Last Oct I bought a SWG. Near the same time I ordered a Taylor salt test kit and received some free salt test strips with the SWG.

In Dec when I got more serious about installing the SWG I finally ran the test…Taylor: 4600ppm…strips: ~500 ppm. unfortunately the Taylor kit had an expired regent, should have checked when I received it. Just recently I ordered a brand new replacement TFT Test Kit that included the Taylor Salt regents. New Taylor result: 5400 ppm.

WOW, I thought the first Taylor kit was defective…turns out it wasn’t (it still tests about 4600ppm). The last time I drained and refilled my pool was almost exactly 3 years ago. Since that time my pool has been chlorinated using liquid chlorine; also, my pool has always taken quite a bit of acid since I replastered in 2014.

I didn’t expect a salt level of ~5000 ppm , I was expecting half or less than that based on comments I have read. Is that number consistent with expectations?

In any case, before I activate the SWG I needed to drain/refill anyway because the calcium level in my pool here in the desert has reached catastrophic levels (800+). I have been putting off this entire project to first install a new water softener (done), a new soft water tap for pool fill (done), installation of SWG (done). I also want to fix some tile grout while the pool is drained (not done), so just one last barrier to eliminating jugs of chlorine this summer.…whoo hoo!

Last edited:
Are you using your SpeedStir to do the salt test? There's a quick change to salmon red and then the test is complete. Are you filling the vial to 10ml and counting each drop and multiplying by 200 to get your result?

Are you using your SpeedStir to do the salt test? There's a quick change to salmon red and then the test is complete. Are you filling the vial to 10ml and counting each drop and multiplying by 200 to get your result?
Steve, thanks for the reply…yes to all: SpeedStir, 10ml, # drops X 200

Since I am new to the Salt test I have been a bit concerned about my interpetation. But it seems to be pretty dramatic when it permanently changes to the brick red color and sort of ”granulizes”. Is there a different way to do the test using 25ml? I’ve seen references to that…

Considering you dont get a lot of rain with overflow, that amount of salt might make sense. You are also close enough on your salt reading, I dont think there is a requirement to use a 25ml sample.

Once you drain and refill the pool you should probably be ok on your salt level. As long as the SWG is not throwing a low or high salt level you really dont need to mess with it.

Reactions: jonpcar

Since I am new to the Salt test I have been a bit concerned about my interpetation. But it seems to be pretty dramatic when it permanently changes to the brick red color and sort of ”granulizes”. Is there a different way to do the test using 25ml? I’ve seen references to that…
No. I just wanted to make sure you were using the proper amount of pool water.

Your poor patio. I'm so sorry. :ROFLMAO:

And yeah. Nobody ever checks their salinity with LC pools. Ever. But if they do, many are surprised and some are downright shocked.

Always make sure you use 10ml. Taylor calls their vial a 25 ml vial and at some point, your brain will shut off at 'fill 25ml vial' and miss the 'to 10 ml' part. Ask me how I know. Or *any* of us for that matter.

If you do drain and refill, make sure to test the water for existing salt levels first before blindly adding salt.

It’s not that high. Typically around here in AZ you’ll get anywhere from 50 to a couple of hundred ppm chloride content in the municipal water system. It’s pretty much on the noise of the salt test.

@jonpcar - salinity builds up quickly here in the desert. Pools evaporate a lot of water (over 100” per year) so the water becomes very concentrated and mineralized easily. We get almost no rain so there is no dilution whatsoever. Great job on the water softener. You will be quite pleased at how well it keeps your CH in check. Makes pool care a heck of a lot easier.

Great job on the water softener. You will be quite pleased at how well it keeps your CH in check. Makes pool care a heck of a lot easier.
Yeah that’s one of the main reasons that I have waited so long to install a SWG. If I was going to have to drain the pool every 3 years anyway (or every 2) for calcium buildup, then replacing the CYA and SALT for every drain/refill was going to be a real pain. I’m hoping your prediction is right on!

Your poor patio. I'm so sorry. :ROFLMAO:

And yeah. Nobody ever checks their salinity with LC pools. Ever. But if they do, many are surprised and some are downright shocked.

Always make sure you use 10ml. Taylor calls their vial a 25 ml vial and at some point, your brain will shut off at 'fill 25ml vial' and miss the 'to 10 ml' part. Ask me how I know. Or *any* of us for that matter.
Gets me almost every time!

• Haha
Reactions: jonpcar and newdude

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
FYI - in your pool, every gallon of 10% LC added increases salt by 12ppm and every gallon of 20 Baumé muriatic acid increase salt by roughly 50ppm. So it does add up quickly.

Reactions: Mdragger88
You mentioned your interpretation of the test so wanted to point out that there is some nuance to this one as it is one of the few tests where you don't add drops until color stops changing. The test is over once it fully changes to that gross milky salmon color. Adding drops will continue to change the color to darker red but test is over on that first full change.

I had trouble with this my first few tests - that first flash of color change where it kinda changes, but then goes back is usually the 2nd to last drop. Next drop the color change is dramatic and sticks and test is over.

(Going off of memory a bit, haven't tested salt levels in my frozen block of pool in several months)

Lots of people accidentally use the 25 ML water sample because the instructions are a little goofy, which makes the result end up being super high so salinity levels. But once the sample switches to whatever brick or salmon color it is the test is done, you don’t keep adding drops.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.