Snow Bird Problem

Nov 19, 2014
Homosassa, Florida
Had an in ground pool in northwest Pa years ago that I would winterize every year and very familiar with that procedure...drain it half way, shock it, remove all the water in the lines and equipment, add antifreeze and put the winter cover on. I'm retired now and going the opposite way. Spend part of fall, all winter and part of spring in central Florida and summers in Pa. Buying a new house with an in ground pool in Florida and need to know the drill when I leave in May and return in October. There is a pool cage around the pool and I have a solar blanket. Should I leave the pool on a timer and hire a pool service or shut it down and do what? Thanks !

You need a pool service that is actually willing to listen to you and do what YOU want them to do. Some folks on this forum use a pool service and the service is told to only clean the pool and manage pH, no chlorine (because it's an SWG pool). So, you might spend some time looking at different pool service companies in the area and get some quotes. You don't just want to go cheap and hire some random schmo with a truck and pole - that's a recipe for disaster. Pay good money for a service and expect them to perform to YOUR expectations and keep you notified about when they arrive, what they add and what condition the pool is in. I would even go so far as to setup a remote camera that you can use to keep an eye on the pool (and let them know that the pool will be surveilled). Sounds crazy, but if you don't stay on top of the pool-boys, they'll just do whatever they want and, worst of all, they can bill you and just not show up anyway. References and reputation are key as it's an industry that has lots of crooks operating in it.

Good luck.

Thanks John. Define nasty mess. When I opened my pool every year in Pa the water was green but all I had to do was shock it and let the filter do its job. I had clear water within days.

- - - Updated - - -

Wow thanks Matt. Very good advice. I will look into a camera, great idea! I had a lawn service in Florida that was billing me for 2 cuts a month but weren't coming when they were supposed to. Didn't know until my neighbors told me after I came back down.

Thanks John. Define nasty mess. When I opened my pool every year in Pa the water was green but all I had to do was shock it and let the filter do its job. I had clear water within days.

- - - Updated - - -

Wow thanks Matt. Very good advice. I will look into a camera, great idea! I had a lawn service in Florida that was billing me for 2 cuts a month but weren't coming when they were supposed to. Didn't know until my neighbors told me after I came back down.

Yeah, not sure which is worse - lawn service "professionals" or pool service "professional" ..... thankfully I live somewhere where the grass doesn't grow!! The 800 sq ft of turf in the backyard is the best pile of cash I ever spent. No watering, no fertilizing, no mowing....rake it once a month (or not...) to get up the debris (or better yet, use a leaf blower) and wet it down every so often to make it glisten....no sweat-expense needed.

So if I don't leave the pool running and do shut it off for 4 months
what exactly will I face when I come back?

An algae bloom, green/black water, mosquitos, possible conversion of CYA to ammonia by bacteria, stained plaster and then a hundred or so dollars in chemicals and a week’s worth of time to clean it all up.

An algae bloom, green/black water, mosquitos, possible conversion of CYA to ammonia by bacteria, stained plaster and then a hundred or so dollars in chemicals and a week’s worth of time to clean it all up.

The one running around with a diamond studded chainsaw & chugging “ over-proof” rum, is likely more cause for concern[emoji106][emoji106][emoji106].

The one running around with a diamond studded chainsaw & chugging “ over-proof” rum, is likely more cause for concern[emoji106][emoji106][emoji106].

At least when the authorities ask for a description of the suspect, you'll be easy to pick out....

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.