Smell chlorine, but low cc

randys

Gold Supporter
Oct 28, 2018
Clayton, NC
I tested .2 cc, 8fc and yet I smell chlorine tonight after we had about ten people in the pool (mostly kids). I'm wondering if maybe my cya testing is off and my fc is too high? Or could I be smelling .2cc? Other days without the smell it was at 0cc same fc.

I tested .2 cc, 8fc and yet I smell chlorine tonight after we had about ten people in the pool (mostly kids). I'm wondering if maybe my cya testing is off and my fc is too high? Or could I be smelling .2cc? Other days without the smell it was at 0cc same fc.
I'll add that it's not a very strong chlorine smell. Just enough for me to think, "I thought I shouldn't be smelling this"

Full test results?

If in doubt, it doesn't hurt to bump FC to shock level for your CYA. It's still safe to swim ?? FC/CYA Levels

Watch this all the way through and remember you asked.

I can't believe I watched the whole 11 minute video, however, I like Roper's videos, they are entertaining. I have an issue with his findings though. I would have wanted to see a full set of test results from the pool that he used.

After perusing this site for just short of a year, there is no way I would think if he used one of our pools that the results would be the same. Who knows how the test pool was sanitized? It wasn't up to TFP standards without proof with a full set of test results! Just sayin' :cool:

The tests in the vid that are relevant to the origional post and not affected by TFPs sanitation protocol, was the tap water bucket test he performed that demonstrated the cause and smell of trichloromine and the artificial sweetener relationship to human urine levels in pool water.

Last edited:
Very true @Oly about his bucket test and how he smelled the CC in the one bucket but not in the other which is relevant to this thread.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Like everyone else said, pee, skin cells, sunscreen, sweat and whatever else your swimmers have will cause the FC to get used up into CC... I like to bump the FC up just a bit before a party and then again after, possible to shock level if I feel it’s needed.

Our FC dropped to 6.5 after all those guests (from 8) with the swg going still the whole time. Normally it keeps up. So I guess I learned my lesson. The low CC measurement may have been meaningless with all the sun we get. But the smell was probably the best indicator.

How do I prevent guests and their kids from peeing on the pool? My kids know better. Even our youngest will get out. Should I say something to visitors? Or is this just pool life?

Pool life lol. Try telling them that you know last time someone was peeing in the pool and you’ve added a chemical that changes bright red if there’s is pee. Worth a shot.

Reactions: randys
Many folks announce a 'break' in pool time every hour or half way or whatever. Also a good time to test the FC real quick and add a shot of chlorine if needed.

But I like dj's idea too - the old the water will turn red if you pee. Not true -- but a great threat!!

Reactions: randys
Our FC dropped to 6.5 after all those guests (from 8) with the swg going still the whole time. Normally it keeps up. So I guess I learned my lesson. The low CC measurement may have been meaningless with all the sun we get. But the smell was probably the best indicator.
We like to proactively raise our FC to high target or even shock level (of CYA FC/CYA Levels) before a known large garthering
How do I prevent guests and their kids from peeing on the pool? My kids know better. Even our youngest will get out. Should I say something to visitors? Or is this just pool life?
Some People are lazy, gross or just don't think :p

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.