Small rodent in skimmer line

georgygirl

Bronze Supporter
May 16, 2011
I was working at the skimmer and had the basket out when I saw a little bitty rodent swimming for all he's worth. I jumped up to get a net so I could get him out but wasn't quick enough and next thing I knew he was in the skimmer and down the hole. He has not come out in the pump basket. I've read various ways to try to get him out and have tried one so far to no avail.

I have two skimmers. He went into the one in the deep end, furthest from the pump, so had a long way to travel to reach the pump basket. I've tried using a hose with a drain cleaning bladder inserted into the skimmer. I closed off the other skimmer and opened the pump basket lid. Nothin happened. No water even came out, much less the little critter.

My next attempt will be to put the hose with the bladder into the pump line and send the water towards the skimmer...still closing off the other skimmer.

My water flow is not affected and the pressure gauge is where it should be, so he's not causing any problems.

Does anyone have any suggestion how to get him out. And if I can't get him out, is there a health concern? Does he HAVE to be removed somehow? He was about 2.5" long.

I'm not concerned about him causing a blockage because I use socks on the skimmer basket and don't vacuum through the skimmer.

YUK!

I'm confused about where in your system he is located. If your basket was out, then he is in the pipe between the skimmer and your pump. But you say you used a skimmer sock so where exactly is he?

You’re right he’s in the skimmer line. I only mentioned that I use skimmer basket socks to indicate why I’m not worried about his presence causing a clog. Only very small particles enter into the line when the pool is operating.

Well he must be drowned by now. I would turn on the pump on full and see if you can isolate that skimmer only for max pressure and watch your pump basket hopefully he pops out.

No risk in a properly chlorinated pool. But I wouldn’t put my mouth on the return line and drink gallons of water (for several reasons).

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.