Toronto
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
Hey all, got a question for you regarding pool pumps. We've got a pentair intelliflo vsf. Brand new install from last year. Our installer suggest running it at 40gpm, 24*7. Hydro bill is huge, and turns over our 15*34 fiberglass (14000 gallons) like 6 or 7 times a day.

I've been tinkering with the gpm, minimum for our heater and salt cell are 25 GPM. However, when I set this lower GPM, I get occasional bubbles (tiny ones) from one of the three return jets. Installer says it happens with lower GPM, and that's why he suggests setting it at 40gpm.

My thought is, what's the point of a variable speed pump, if I've got to run it at such a high GPM/rpm? And 24/7. I mean, I know a pool is a luxury, and in Canada it's only 4 or 5 months of the year, but it seems a little crazy to me.

Yes, filter basket and skimmer are clear. Water level is well over half of skimmer too. Also just cleaned the carriage filters last week.

Any thoughts or guidance?

The bubbles are your generator making chlorine. I had the same question. The bubbles probably are just more noticeable at lower speeds.

You could confirm this by turning off your generator the next time you see the bubbles.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mchickey
Oh really? Well, I guess that would make sense. Everything I've seen online resorts to air leaks. Do you happen to have a link to your post?

Oh really? Well, I guess that would make sense. Everything I've seen online resorts to air leaks. Do you happen to have a link to your post?

Air bubbles are normal. Even without a SWG you will develop small bubbles under the lid that will escape when running slow.
His advice was awful. Theres no need to turn over a pool. You need to run long enough to satisfy the SWG ability to sanitize the pool. Chlorine spreads itself thru the water column. The only other reason to run is to skim the water. I've never set a pool to run more than 8hrs in a day unless they had solar panels. You can set multiple 1 hour runs if you need better skimming for cleaning. Otherwise max the SWG output amd adjust run time to accommodate sanitation needs

Thanks for chiming on this, that is definitely the issue. I looked liked a tool in my yard looking at my pool with a flashlight at 930. With that said, since it seems so normal, I'm assuming it's nothing to be concerned about, and I can lower my GPM.

Air bubbles are normal. Even without a SWG you will develop small bubbles under the lid that will escape when running slow.
His advice was awful. Theres no need to turn over a pool. You need to run long enough to satisfy the SWG ability to sanitize the pool. Chlorine spreads itself thru the water column. The only other reason to run is to skim the water. I've never set a pool to run more than 8hrs in a day unless they had solar panels. You can set multiple 1 hour runs if you need better skimming for cleaning. Otherwise max the SWG output amd adjust run time to accommodate sanitation needs
While their install was great, I feel like I was left with little to no management info. Glad tfp is here to support. Thanks Jimmy.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.