Small Black Bugs-Pepper Flakes

LBGaffney

Jul 29, 2019
North Carolina
Help! I have been struggling for three weeks now and no one seems to be able to help.
I have tiny black ant looking bugs floating throughout my pool. I cleaned for five hours this weekend skimming with a micro net and vacuuming our 18’ above ground pool. They are so tiny they look like ants but if you look at them real close they are not. They seems to be dead maybe and don’t bite. But I can’t get rid of them. We even put a skimmer sock in the skimmer and it’s not helping. The chemicals levels are perfect in the salt water pool except these bugs. I cleaned for hours this weekend and even covered it thinking it was the neighboring corn farm. Nothing is working. No one wants to swim with bugs except me. Lol

I had a similar issue when I first had my pool installed. After I added the CYA the pool was covered in hundreds of little black bugs that looked like ants on the surface of the water. I ran my pump on high since they were on the surface non-stop overnight and they were then gone. It was the end of the season when the pool was installed and when I cleaned out the cartridge filter, I found it was covered in thousands of these insects!! The filter was completely covered in them. I asked at the pool store and nobody knew what I was talking about. I think they were attracted to the initial dose of the CYA. I have never seen them since. I can't afford a salt water generator, so I alternate Chlorine feeder with shocking with Chlorine, to keep the CYA low enough for the Chlorine to work for the season. In spring, my pool needs some fresh water so the CYA starts low again. I am in Ohio, by the way.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.