Rockstead

Sep 2, 2010
Montreal, QC, Canada
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
I recently had to empty my sand filter for work being done in my Cabana and since then I noticed that there are areas near my returns where small amount of sand is accumulating.

It’s reoccurred enough times after cleaning the pool and I can’t ignore it.

Im assuming it’s possible I damaged something the last time I emptied the filter. I actually have a reason to empty the filter again because of work being done in the area. How will I be able to tell if I damaged the internal mechanism? As I would like to replace it while I have the opportunity with it being empty.

How will I be able to tell if I damaged the internal mechanism?
You'll have to just look very closely at every section or joint of the lateral assembly. Inspect each lateral-finger, how it's attached (screwed-in or knuckle assembly), the lower hub assembly where the laterals and center standpipe connects, etc. Of course once you are done and ready to fill it back up, make sure to pre-fill the vessel with some water to help cushion the weight of the sand as you pour it back into the filter.

But if I’m leaking some sand now, wouldn’t it mean something is defective or could it be it wasn’t sitting properly after I emptied and re-filled last time?

i took out 85% of the sand last time, bit I didn’t put water back in as I was re-filling it, it’s all new to me as it was the first time doing myself.

But if I’m leaking some sand now, wouldn’t it mean something is defective or could it be it wasn’t sitting properly after I emptied and re-filled last time?
Sure. That's what I was referring to about inspecting everything. Before you do that though, make sure the sand you are seeing isn't from a lack of performing a thorough RINSE after each backwash. Some people stop their rinse cycle too quickly and blow some sand back in. But if that's not the case, then opening her up may be the next best bet. The only only other thing might be if you used a bad batch of sand that wasn't #20 silica pool sand and is slipping through the lateral grooves.

Do I need to remove all the sand of the filter? I removed enough that I was able to remove the inner mechanism, and it’s light enough now that I can move it.

does that Umbrella mechanism connect or snap in to anything?

If you are in the process of inspecting the laterals and everything, then yes, you do need to remove all the sand so that you can remove everything. You'll remove the multiport valve from the top and hopefully it will slip-off of the top center standpipe. Then you'll carefully remove the center standpipe and the laterals. You'll need to get the entire lateral assembly out so that you can inspect each lateral branch (finger) all over for any defects. You'll also inspect the hub assembly and each location they connect to each other. The sand should still be good, so just keep it off to the side until you're ready to put everything back in.

If you are in the process of inspecting the laterals and everything, then yes, you do need to remove all the sand so that you can remove everything. You'll remove the multiport valve from the top and hopefully it will slip-off of the top center standpipe. Then you'll carefully remove the center standpipe and the laterals. You'll need to get the entire lateral assembly out so that you can inspect each lateral branch (finger) all over for any defects. You'll also inspect the hub assembly and each location they connect to each other. The sand should still be good, so just keep it off to the side until you're ready to put everything back in.

I was able to get off the multi valve, I was able to vacuum enough sand that the lateral assembly just slid out without much force.

i rinsed it and each lateral arm is able to move up and down, but I’m not sure how to test it further than that.

What I meant is that there is still a few pounds of sand at the bottom of the filter but I’m able to clear the Center with my hand and I see there is nothing that connect the lateral assembly, so I assume I’m good to leave the remaining sand in the filter.

Be careful about leaving sand in the bottom. Too much and you won't be able to get the laterals assembly all the way back down. Then what will happen is the center standpipe will stick up too high when you try to put the multiport valve and top back together, so it wont close properly. For the laterals themselves, it's just a close visual inspection on each arm/finger and where they connect, etc. It only takes a very tiny crack for sand to seep through. But if you don't see any defects, then they should be fine.

Be careful about leaving sand in the bottom. Too much and you won't be able to get the laterals assembly all the way back down. Then what will happen is the center standpipe will stick up too high when you try to put the multiport valve and top back together, so it wont close properly. For the laterals themselves, it's just a close visual inspection on each arm/finger and where they connect, etc. It only takes a very tiny crack for sand to seep through. But if you don't see any defects, then they should be fine.

I did a really thorough visual, ran my finger across each lateral arm to look for any breaks, I can’t see anything.

So if I get this all back in the filter put together, what’s my next step in terms of determining why there is sand in the pool?

Any truth to sand losing its sharp edges after 5 years or is that just marketing, because now is my opportunity to change it, at the same time is it worth just changing the lateral assembly regardless? I’m only saying that because I do consistently get small amounts of sand in the pool around returns.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Some places will claim that about sand (getting rounded) but we don't believe that here at TFP. Sand is millions of years old and it's just sifting water in your filter, so that shouldn't be an issue. The only other thing I can think of is that perhaps the brand of sand used before was a slightly finer sand other than #20 (.45mm) pool sand. There are some brands (i.e. Quikrete) that have been know to not work as well because they were a bit small. Also make you don't overfill a sand filter. Usually there's a line inside or you just go about 2/3 the way up to ensure sand can't get forced up and into the top of the center standpipe.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.