Caffrin

Jul 30, 2021
Boise, Idaho
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
This is our first successful year chlorinating our above ground pool thanks to TFP! However, after 2 weeks STRAIGHT of 100°+ temps, I noticed a small amount of green algae on one wall a few days ago. I’ve swept it the last 3 days and it pops back up. The water is still very clear (not crystal but close) and I’ve been running my pump 24-7.
My chlorine today is at 6 and CYA is at 45. I really don’t want to have to SLAM it if it means the kids can’t swim for this last week before school starts. But is that what I should do?
Any experience on how long a SLAM could take for just a small amount of algae?
Thanks so much in advance! I love this site!

Hiya... with CYA of 50 (there aren't any halfways) you should be aiming to keep your FC 6-8...since you're already at 6, I would say bump it up to 10ppm and brush that wall well and see if that takes care of it.
You can swim safely with FC of 20 with a CYA of 50

Maddie 🐞

Reactions: markayash
100+ degree air temp doesn’t cause algae. Falling below the minimum FC for your CYA 50 gives algae a chance to get a foothold. You must test and add chlorine daily so you don’t get close to the minimum FC ppm. How do you chlorinate? Are you testing regularly?

100+ degree air temp doesn’t cause algae. Falling below the minimum FC for your CYA 50 gives algae a chance to get a foothold. You must test and add chlorine daily so you don’t get close to the minimum FC ppm. How do you chlorinate? Are you testing regularly?
Thanks!
With warmer water it seems like the FC drops faster. I could be imagining it though. Or maybe because it’s so hot the kids are in the pool more and putting a heavier load on the chlorine (with all their dirty kid contaminants lol)
I use LC and test daily. We bring it to 6 daily. But it does drop to the lowest of 2 when I test, at times, it seems especially after we’ve had a lot of kids in the pool the day before.
Does that seem off to be testing at 2 at times? On average when I check in the morning, it’s usually at a 4 and I bring it up to a 6, but it does vary by day.

Hiya... with CYA of 50 (there aren't any halfways) you should be aiming to keep your FC 6-8...since you're already at 6, I would say bump it up to 10ppm and brush that wall well and see if that takes care of it.
You can swim safely with FC of 20 with a CYA of 50

Maddie 🐞
Will do. I realized yesterday that the high end of recommended is 8 so I did bring it up to that. I’ll aim for 10 over the next few days and continue brushing.
Thanks so much!

Ohmy...if you've had it go to 2ppm that *is* the problem. Whenever you have higher bather load (all those sweaty kids, one is bound to pee) increase the FC level a bit ahead of time, and then check it afterwards. That'll help avoid this situation.

I don't want to see you have to SLAM right before school starts so when suggesting you take it to 10ppm is just a "hold" until you can get the kids back to school and address the problem.

Thanks!
With warmer water it seems like the FC drops faster. I could be imagining it though. Or maybe because it’s so hot the kids are in the pool more and putting a heavier load on the chlorine (with all their dirty kid contaminants lol)
I use LC and test daily. We bring it to 6 daily. But it does drop to the lowest of 2 when I test, at times, it seems especially after we’ve had a lot of kids in the pool the day before.
Does that seem off to be testing at 2 at times? On average when I check in the morning, it’s usually at a 4 and I bring it up to a 6, but it does vary by day.
Ohmy...if you've had it go to 2ppm that *is* the problem. Whenever you have higher bather load (all those sweaty kids, one is bound to pee) increase the FC level a bit ahead of time, and then check it afterwards. That'll help avoid this situation.

I don't want to see you have to SLAM right before school starts so when suggesting you take it to 10ppm is just a "hold" until you can get the kids back to school and address the problem.
That was 10 days ago so I thought I was in the clear 😩 Maybe not though!

And to follow up on yippee suggestion brush all the walls at least once a day. Not just the places you can see green on.
If you brush until you have blisters on your fingers and a FC of 10 you maybe ok.
Hot water temps and sun use more Chlorine thus the reason to watch it but like other have said if you aim a little higher you have a little buffer also.

Just watch it close and at the first new sign of green start a SLAM

And how is it time for school already!

Reactions: YippeeSkippy

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Wow! I did not know this! Awesome!
Let me add a caveat…you must be able to see the bottom of the deep end (so you can see someone who might be in trouble down there) and the FC level must be at or below SLAM level, which for your case of 50CYA would be a FC or 20ppm of less.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.