Slimy feeling in pool

Carino

Jun 24, 2018
Billerica ma
Hi all... I usually take my water and have it tested by a professional. A few days ago I had the water tested. The only bad reading I got was an elevated phosphate
count of 646ppm. She told me to just keep shocking the pool weekly and adding algae killer. Well since I opened my pool this spring I have been using Bioguard backup2
algae preventer. Should I start to use an algae remover instead? My pool is crystal clear. Any suggestions would be helpful. My pool is an above-ground 15000-gallon pool.
I use a De filter and usually change the DE every 5 to 6 weeks.

This site relies on owner testing. We do not advocate store testing since they are known to be wildly inaccurate. They also use their dubious test results to sell you products that do more harm than good, like algae removers. They use meaningless test results like Phosphates, which is not important, to sell you these products. TFP pool owners also do not "shock" their pool weekly, or ever. It simply is not necessary when your chemicals are balanced. Successful pool owners are dedicated to correct chemistry and regular water testing with a lab grade test kit like the TF-100 with Taylor reagents.

Start with "pool school" and follow the TFP guidelines for a better, cheaper and safer pool experience! Pool School - Trouble Free Pool

Reactions: Thorvald
Take everything a pool store says with a grain of salt, until you take true ownership of your pool you will constantly be taken advantage of. There is a reason why this site and others similar to it exist. To get the truth out there.

Hi, welcome to TFP! Which kit did you order? A slimy feel in the pool is usually the first stages of an algae bloom. Until your test kit arrives, add a jug of plain, unscented bleach and brush the walls and floor of the pool daily. That should keep things from getting worse until the test kit arrives. Do not add anymore algaecide to the pool. The Bioguard backup 2 doesn't contain copper, but a lot of algaecides do, and you don't want that in your pool. It creates more problems than it solves.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Hi all... I order this TAYLOR TECHNOLOGIES INC K-2006 TEST KIT COMP CHLORINE FAS-DPD

I think went I get home I'm going to brush and vaccum the walls and floor of the pool. Should I backwash my de filter tonight or tomorrow??

That is a great kit but you may need more of the FSA/DPD test since you may be SLAMming your pool. SLAMming once a pool owner takes over their own testing from a pool store is typical. Pool stores like to keep you right on the edge of not enough chlorine since it helps them to sell magical masking potions.

The important test will be to see what your CYA level is once you get your test in. That will determine your regular chlorine levels. Post a full set of results here once you take them and we'll guide you appropriately! You've taken the first step to a trouble-free pool!

Welcome to TFP!
Good luck on your mission, these folks will help you toward a Trouble Free Pool!

Generally only need to backwash after pressure rises about 10%. Better indicator than strictly time. ?

Agreed with PoolGate - you got the K-2006 (instead of the K-2006c), which has everything you need, but very small amounts. You will want to get a refill of the FAS-DPD reagents on order so that you have enough to last through your SLAM.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.