Slightly Cloudy Water/particles floating?

Jun 10, 2018
Gilbert, Arizona
My pool water started looking a bit cloudy about 3 days ago, and after testing the water, my PH looks spot on @ 7.5, however the FC was around 4, instead of my target of 7. We’ve had a number of big dust storms here in Phoenix over the past few weeks, so i also decided to backwash the filter, even though the pressure wasn’t up much. After backwashing i added about a cup of DE, to the sand filter, and let it run for a few hours...it raised the pressure about 2-3psi...
the water still looks slightly cloudy today, and with a mask on you can see a bunch of tiny white particles floating underwater.

Heres my water test results.

FC = 7
CC = 0
CH = 400
TA = 100
CYA = 75

Perhaps you're seeing remaining particulates from the recent monsoon dust storms, or perhaps residual dead organic material. With a CYA rounded up to 80, it might not hurt to raise your FC a bit more, say 10-12 for a day or so. SLAM level is 31, so you're still plenty low, but a little higher than normal to help your water through this odd period. If things don't get better soon, or begin to deteriorate, consider doing an Overnight Chlorine Loss Test. On a side note, it's amazing to see such a low CH for your area. Nice.

Perhaps you're seeing remaining particulates from the recent monsoon dust storms, or perhaps residual dead organic material. With a CYA rounded up to 80, it might not hurt to raise your FC a bit more, say 10-12 for a day or so. SLAM level is 31, so you're still plenty low, but a little higher than normal to help your water through this odd period. If things don't get better soon, or begin to deteriorate, consider doing an Overnight Chlorine Loss Test. On a side note, it's amazing to see such a low CH for your area. Nice.

I was thinking the same thing about residual dust from the storms... initially i was worried it may have been the DE getting back through the sand and into the pool. Is that possible?

initially i was worried it may have been the DE getting back through the sand and into the pool. Is that possible?
I suppose it is if either there was too much DE for the filter to handle, or you had an issue with a lateral. Looks like your system was just installed this year, so the sand would be new and not compacted, so that shouldn't be an issue. I'd just give it some more time and see how it goes.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.