Slightly Cloudy Pool, Party Tomorrow

kllentini

Jun 3, 2018
Boston, Ma
Within the last 2 weeks I stopped using pucks and just have been adding liquid chlorine daily. I’ve felt like I’ve been battling low pH all year and so I finally heeded advice here to stop using the pucks. My pool looked slightly cloudy last night so I did an Overnight Loss Test and lost 2.0 from 8.0 to 6.0. My CYA is 80.

The pool again looks slightly cloudy this morning. I didn’t know if it’s the light but my wife looked at it and agreed it looks slightly cloudy in the deep end. I realize I should SLAM but I’m reluctant to start that today as we’re having a family birthday party here tomorrow because we have the pool. So any short term suggestions on shocking it today/tonight before going thru the SLAM process starting on Monday? Thanks in advance for any help.

Msch99

Gold Supporter
Bronze Supporter
Jun 11, 2018
Verona, MO
An expert will chime in soon I imagine.
I would slam now. You can safely swim with FC at slam level for your cya level.

The concern is cloudiness not FC level. Hit it hard now, safer for swimmers.

Chrissykr

Jun 8, 2014
Rogers, AR
If it were me...I would do as they say hit it hard today with chlorine but, I would also be loading up on some DE or DE alternative and keep that pump going. Brush the heck out of it as well.

Reactions: Msch99

Pool_Medic

In The Industry
Apr 1, 2018
Bangor Maine
You can use some mono per sulphate too, it’s non chlorine shock, you would only have to wait two hours. Shock levels (40% of cya reading, while swimmable will be noticed by your friends/family)