Slight milky appearance

Apr 25, 2017
Tucson
My water has a very slight milky/white appearance. It is barely noticeable, but it has always been crystal clear before and I was to clear it up as I am afraid something bad may happen.
My test results from yesterday
FCl 3.6
CC 0
pH 7.5
TA 70
CH 1000+ (I live in AZ so I just learn to live with Ca scale)
CYA 60
Salt 3600 (I took my cell out for the winter)
Borates did not test, but should be around 40

I checked the FCL today (no Cl has been added) and it is the same, 3.6.

Any thoughts would be appreciated. I bought some new Pleatco filters, but I have not installed them yet. The current ones are about 3 years old so they are still in decent shape.

Thanks

Since you have your SWCG removed, use the non-salt pool chart for FC/CYA (in my signature if needed).

For a CYA of 60, you should be at a FC of 7-9 with 5 as the bare minimum. I would bump up your chlorine to be in the target range or even a bit higher and see if that will clear it up.

If raising the FC to the target range or above doesnt do the trick in a few days, you may have to SLAM but I wouldnt do that jut yet especially since you are not losing chlorine. It could also be the filter as you mentioned, but I'm 90% sure the extra FC will do the trick for you... and that is the easiest solution.

If raising the FC to the target range or above doesnt do the trick in a few days, you may have to SLAM but I wouldnt do that jut yet especially since you are not losing chlorine. It could also be the filter as you mentioned, but I'm 90% sure the extra FC will do the trick for you... and that is the easiest solution.
I hope the extra FC works. When we bought this house the FC was very high. It took several months for it to get to a swimmable level. Our pool just does not lose FC very fast. Of course all the chemistry was off then (prior to TFP) so maybe that was part of it. Thanks again.

It did happen. And someday I should post the whole story. The CYA was 200-300. The FC was 50+. It was not easy getting good analytical results so everything is an estimate. Who knows what chemicals were put into the water. The scale was 3/16 inch and took me several months to scrape off (20 minutes per tile times 300 tiles). It took me almost 2 years to get the chemistry right (and allow anyone into the pool). I did not perform a complete drain of the water (because I was concerned about the integrity of the pool, but I did many partial drains. I started by taking pool water to pool store for testing, but soon realized that was a waste of time and then I researched and found TFP. I use the Taylor kit and I have a few probes around. The salt cell was broken and the filters were a mess when we bought the house so they were adding tablets to the pool. And, of course, the previous owners had a pool service.

That is chemically not possible. Chlorine was being added during that time.
How are you testing your pool water chemistry?
It did happen. And someday I should post the whole story. The CYA was 200-300. The FC was 50+. It was not easy getting good analytical results so everything is an estimate. Who knows what chemicals were put into the water. The scale was 3/16 inch and took me several months to scrape off (20 minutes per tile times 300 tiles). It took me almost 2 years to get the chemistry right (and allow anyone into the pool). I did not perform a complete drain of the water (because I was concerned about the integrity of the pool, but I did many partial drains. I started by taking pool water to pool store for testing, but soon realized that was a waste of time and then I researched and found TFP. I use the Taylor kit and I have a few probes around. The salt cell was broken and the filters were a mess when we bought the house so they were adding tablets to the pool. And, of course, the previous owners had a pool service.

I raised the FC to 8, but no change. At this point I do not think it is any type of organic, it may be a very fine suspended particulate. I replaced my old filters as couple of day ago and lowered the pH a bit. It is not getting any worse. Perhaps the lower temperature has affected the solubility of something in my pool. I will give it another week and see what happens. Does that make sense?

So you raised FC to 8 on 12/30, and now 8 days later your pool is still cloudy. Have you been adding chlorine to maintain it at 8 that whole time? If so, how much have you added. If not, what is your current FC level?

If it is not organics, that would point to the filter and it sounds like you just replaced the cartridge, so maybe a few more days of running the water through it.

Outside of those 2 possibilities, your CH is very high but I'm not aware that would cause cloudiness in the water. Do you have an accurate CH reading as it is just listed as 1000+ in your original post? Hopefully one of the dessert dweller posters will chime in if they do think the CH has something to do with it, since they are pros and have lots of experience with managing high CH.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
So you raised FC to 8 on 12/30, and now 8 days later your pool is still cloudy. Have you been adding chlorine to maintain it at 8 that whole time? If so, how much have you added. If not, what is your current FC level?

If it is not organics, that would point to the filter and it sounds like you just replaced the cartridge, so maybe a few more days of running the water through it.

Outside of those 2 possibilities, your CH is very high but I'm not aware that would cause cloudiness in the water. Do you have an accurate CH reading as it is just listed as 1000+ in your original post? Hopefully one of the dessert dweller posters will chime in if they do think the CH has something to do with it, since they are pros and have lots of experience with managing high CH.
I kept the FC about 8 for 5 days. I have not added any bleach for two days, and I have not checked the FC for two days. All together I think I put in 1 gallon of 10% bleach. The CH runs about 1800 and it has always been about that level. Our water is about 400 ppm Ca so my only option to achieve a desired level is to drain the pool and I am not going to do that unless absolutely necessary. I don't mind a little scale. I will check the FC and CH when I get a few moments. I appreciate your help.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.