Slight leak somewhere?

skillset

Gold Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
May 3, 2007
Central NJ
I have a Hayward Superpump (single speed) and Hayward Sand Filter. Pretty simple setup...one skimmers...two eyeballs. The pump motor was replaced 3 years ago. The filter is the original from 2006 and sand replaced maybe 5 years ago. I have the pump on a timer, running 2x day for 5 hours at a time.

When I opened May this year, I messed up, and while I was vacuuming to waste, the pump basket strainer got too filled. By the time it dawned on me to stop vacuuming and clean the basket, the strainer developed 2 cracks along the side seams, assuming from pressure. I found this pretty amazing considering how thick that strainer is. I continued to use the strainer since the cracks weren't really letting any large debris through. I have not backwashed this season, which is normal for me. My normal clean filter pressure is 18 and I'm at 20.

Over the past few weeks, I've had to add water to the pool. Not significant, could be through normal evaporation, but it got me checking the system.

When the pump is running, the system appears fine, filter pressure normal, no strange sounds, pump basket filled. But, there is a small drip leak coming down from the collar of the filter - maybe a drop every 10 seconds.

When the pump is off and then turned on, I'm getting air through the eyeballs and the pump basket has to fill a very small portion of water it's lost. It does this whether the pump is off 5 hours OR the pump is off 30 seconds. When I turn the pump off, I hear a “draining” sound coming from the multi-port valve, but no large volume of water leaves the pump basket, although some does. After being off 5 hours, I'd say the pump basket has lost no more than 1” of water, but obviously this isn't supposed to happen.

Here's some observations when I turn the pump on after resting 30 seconds:
  • I get a surge of pressure. So much so, that some water initially spurts out of the pump basket. The cover is on tight. Sometimes, instead of the pump basket spurt, I get spurting coming down the filter collar.
  • I hear a trickling sound, almost like a geiger counter, coming from multi-port valve. It goes away after 10 minutes or so. I'm very used to this sound only when priming during opening or after cleaning the pump basket or after back washing.
While the pump is running, no leaks at the pump, the heater, the chlorinator (haven't used in years since I'm doing BBB). As I mentioned, there is a very slight drip coming from the filter collar. A part of the bottom base around the filter appears wet, but I think this is due to the drip and spurts from the collar - not sure I ever heard of a filter leak from the bottom base.

I'm hoping that I don't have an underground leak. Does anyone suspect the filter? Perhaps I need a new multi-port value gasket or O-ring on the filter collar?

I agree. ^^ You may not see much when the system is on, but once off air finds a way to seep into the smallest gap. When that happens, your system begins to make room for the air that is leaking "in" and water moves out of the way - often times backwards.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.