Slight Algae problem but can't figure out when to stop SLAMMing

Renee1

Jun 6, 2016
Jackson, NJ
We had a slight amount of algae in our deep end. We started the SLAM protocol 2 nights ago. We are adding chlorine to a 12 FC level, per the chart. Here are our numbers

12 (Thursday evening)
11 1/2 (Friday morning)
8 1/2 (Friday evening)
11 1/2 (this morning) Our CC is 1 currently.

There is no more visible algae (brushed and vacuumed pool) and the pool water has always been perfectly clear except for the little bit of algae in the deep end.

How much longer should I SLAM? Our CC is over the .5 recommended, but it also says you can stop when there is no more algae and when the water is clear. We also didn't lose any FC overnight. This is our first time doing this fully, so I want to make sure we are doing it right.

Thanks so much

Renee

Good Job!

You still showed CC of 1.0. Stay at SLAM one more day. Run another OCLT tonight and see if your CC is down.

Was it sunny there the last couple days? Sunlight on the pool surface helps burn off CC.

You can still swim in the pool --- just in case you were not sure. As long as FC is at or below shock level.

Take care.

Thank you! Was not really very sunny....more off an on with clouds. (NJ) I didn't know we could still swim so thank you for that! Just out of curiosity, if we test around dinner time, add more chlorine to try to get to 12, then test it before bed, is that the correct way to do it, then test again in the morning to see if we lost any overnight? I'm just not clear on the timing.

Just to be accurate, my husband says since it was only a LITTLE algae, we could just stop when we didn't see anymore, but I feel that we need to go through the whole process anyway because there could be stuff growing we can't see, and also because if there is even a little algae, then the conditions would be right for more to grow given the opportunity. Is that correct?

Thanks for your help...

Renee

Thank you! Was not really very sunny....more off an on with clouds. (NJ) I didn't know we could still swim so thank you for that! Just out of curiosity, if we test around dinner time, add more chlorine to try to get to 12, then test it before bed, is that the correct way to do it, then test again in the morning to see if we lost any overnight? I'm just not clear on the timing.

Just to be accurate, my husband says since it was only a LITTLE algae, we could just stop when we didn't see anymore, but I feel that we need to go through the whole process anyway because there could be stuff growing we can't see, and also because if there is even a little algae, then the conditions would be right for more to grow given the opportunity. Is that correct?

Thanks for your help...

Renee
You are correct. Finish the process and be done with it. I can't count the number of folks who complain that the algae keeps coming back and after we get to the bottom of the situation they kept stopping too soon.

Algae is like pregnancy, there is no "little". You either are or aren't/have it or don't.

Just out of curiosity, if we test around dinner time, add more chlorine to try to get to 12, then test it before bed, is that the correct way to do it, then test again in the morning to see if we lost any overnight? I'm just not clear on the timing.

That is fine timing. It is preferred to have about 8 hours between your evening test and morning test. No chlorine additions during that time.

Take care.

thank you, Maddie... yes it was thoroughly brushed/vacuumed, but I suppose I could get in there to double check.

This morning, our loss test showed only a .5 decrease in FC, but I have to be totally honest and say that I cannot tell if the CC is .5 or 1!!! I don't know if I should redo the test, keep shocking for another day, or what?

Sorry to be a pest....

Renee

LOL, you're not being a pest.... you're just like the rest of us! We were *all* new to this at one time or another.

When in doubt, add another day. It won't hurt a thing. Try it in a different light or time of day if that helps you see better.

Remember you're okay to swim during a SLAM as long as the FC isn't OVER your SLAM level.

Maddie :flower:

Just wanted to thank all of you that responded to my questions about SLAMMing for algae. The next day after I last spoke, all the numbers were clearly in range, the pool has no more algae spots, and it was thanks to the help I received here. This site is a wonderful resource, and I appreciate the time you spent helping me.

Renee

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.