Slide valve vs Multiport

poolgool

Feb 23, 2019
texas
I'm in the midst of a remodel. PB replaced our DE filter with Pentair FNS. Our old one was plumbed with a mulitport valve and PB replaced filter with slide valve w/o discussion. I'm not sure if I should ask him to replace valve with equivalent of what we had before or leave it alone. Thoughts/suggestions/input?

The plunger valves are used quite a bit in the industry. Perhaps the biggest limitation is that you don't have a waste or recirculate function. It's either backwash or filter. So if that is a concern for you, now would be the time to discuss it with your builder.

Last edited:
Poolside Chat Episode #27: Push-Pull vs Multi-Port Valves - INYOPools.com

For most filter models, the price between the slide and multi-port valve options is not to drastic. We suggests springing for the multiport valve to give you the extra capabilities for whatever pool issues pop up down the line.

I would disagree with that and say that TFP actually doesn’t take a position on it. It’s based on need. I have a simple plunger valve on my DE filter and have never needed waste or recirculate mode. In fact, I know of one of our experts that completely removed all valves and plumbed his DE filter without one. I never backwash my filter, just tear it down twice a year and rinse it out. If you oversize a DE filter, they can be very low maintenance.

Multiports also add higher head loss to the plumbing. It can be mitigated somewhat if your pipe diameters are larger (2-1/2” pipes) but that’s not typical.

Reactions: Leebo
There is no real need for any valve with a cartridge filter. My son has no control valve at his filter and it has never been a problem.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.