Hanover, Illinois
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Intex Krystal Clear
I need some serious help! Been dealing with lots of problems. At the end of the day, the sand filter was not working. Water was somewhat cloudy. Replaced the sand filter water is clear but I can’t maintain chlorine in the pool. Read the article about slamming and have been doing that. Water is super clear. Still can’t maintain chlorine. I have a vinyl above ground pool with SWG. CYA is 30-50. I know you recommend 60-90 but I thought I read to have it lower while slamming. What do I need to do! Hold out for a few more days or just covert this pool to a glorified bird bath for 3 seasons and an ice rink in the winter? HELP!!!

Welcome! :wave: Please update your signature and include which test kit you are using. If you are questioning the need to do a SLAM, at the very least, consider doing an Overnight Chlorine Loss Test (with a proper test kit) to confirm if it's algae or simply because your CYA is too low.

Welcome! :wave: Please update your signature and include which test kit you are using. If you are questioning the need to do a SLAM, at the very least, consider doing an Overnight Chlorine Loss Test (with a proper test kit) to confirm if it's algae or simply because your CYA is too low.

Thank you! I did update my signature. Initially there was algae, mustard or brown deposits in the bottom of the pool. With the previous sand filter not working properly, I thought this would be the best route and the fact I can’t keep chlorine in the pool. The water has been amazingly clear. I will double check the CYA and give it a boost if warranted. Sound like a plan?

Reactions: Texas Splash
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.