Slamming for the first time

Jenntipton

Jun 6, 2020
Texas
Hey guys, I am a firm believer in what works keep it going. We have had some filter issues and it was down about a week. I continued to add bleach to try and keep levels up and it was ok so I thought. Long story short got the filter up and going and upped FC to between normal and slam level and it seemed to be fine. Fast forward a week and I went to brush the pool and there was a green cloud coming off the floor. I knew what that meant. Time to SLAM!! I was a doubter at first. (I have been down the pool store rabbit hole) I have been keeping levels up to SLAM level testing 3-4 times a day as I’ve been home. Last night it looked clear, like crystal clear. I did an OCLT and it went from 19.5 (I was aiming for 16, tested about an hour after adding the amount pool math said I needed and I over shot it) down to 16.5 this morning, and the pool was still clear. I tested again about 5 hrs later and it was down to 13. Added 29oz of bleach as pool math figured for me aiming for 16. I’ve tested again 5 hrs later and it only dropped to 15. We are now 3 hrs later (kids are itching to swim) I retested and only down to 14. I thought that the sun would burn off more chlorine than that today.
My pool is so clear you can see all the way across from it. I’m going to do one more OCLT tonight and tomorrow morning, but my question is this. Could I have tested too soon after adding bleach and had a false high number last night and I really did pass this morning? There is nothing on the bottom when I’ve brushed all day today.

Why aren't the kids swimming?
You can safely swim in a pool as long as the FC is above the minimum and at or below SLAM level based on your CYA. You must also be able to see the bottom of the pool in the deep end of the pool.

Run the OCLT tonight.

Why aren't the kids swimming?
You can safely swim in a pool as long as the FC is above the minimum and at or below SLAM level based on your CYA. You must also be able to see the bottom of the pool in the deep end of the pool.

Run the OCLT tonight.

They are swimming now. They haven’t been because I was determined to get algae under control and kept it at Slam level almost all day. I’ve been trying to let it drop off today so they could win but it was just staying high. Finally dropped to a level under slam.

I have never had any luck with pool store helping me turn a green pool even remotely clear. I am so glad I found this group. And I have taken the control of our pool in my own hands. It is a very powerful feeling.

Reactions: Oly and mknauss
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.