Carrollton, Ga
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine

Middle image is prior to drain on 5.9.
left image is after using soap and re-fill (not my brightest idea
right image is after 10 days of slam and last 3-4 days don't appear to see much change.
I did a deep clean of my sand filter yesterday to see if that helps as I have run pump 24/7 during all this and did not always vacuum to waste.

slam for 10 days. Seems to have reached a point with no change. Water looks same for last 3-4 days.
todays readings- FC-12, CC-.5, CH-300-325, TA-80, PH 7.4-7.5, CYA 30 (1/16" above 30 mark).

IOn 5-9-18 had CYA-0, FC-0, TA-50. did not check PH till 5.10.18 was 7.0, added 6lbs baking soda. sanitized to raise CYA

5.12.18 FC-0, PH-7.2, CYA-30, TA-90

Have maintained FC of 12 or better since starting.
I'm about 26 gals of bleach into this slam and I know its a process but it seems to have hit a wall. I check the pool sweep 1-2 times a day, vacuumed till it picks up nothing and maintained FC-12 since starting.

Started partial drain on 5.9.18, lowered about 1/2 of pool, cleaned as much trash/leaves as possible. started re-fill and decided to clean algae from walls with dish soap and water using pool brush, I'm thinking that was a big mistake.

Am I missing something or do I just keep adding bleach, or is there something else I can do??? Getting a little frustrated.

You can't count the days that you added dish soap, as that is surely counterproductive.

The pool SLAM is improving the looks. But if you still have any solids in there that will slow things down enormously. The chlorine is working to break that solid debris down before it can get to slaying algae and it runs out too soon. Get any debris out of there!

Take a pic daily over the stairs and you should be able to see improvement, albeit slowly.

Chlorine! Chlorine! Chlorine! That's all you need. oh, and patience.

Maddie :flower:

Your first sentence is a little scary. I used the soap when I partial drained and then refilled Prior to starting the slam. I only got most of the soap suds out on Sat. 5.19. Still have some remnants of sudsing , but, minor.
I'm sure I have all the debris out.
I'll keep adding the chlorine per the Slam (Maintain FC-12 per my pool math calculations). The greenish photo is from today. I'll take one each day and hope for better results in a few days.
Thanks for the reply.
I have a childhood friend who lives in Augusta. She was a clerk of court or something like that until her husband pasted a couple years ago and she retired.I lived there for 6 months about 100 years ago it seems.

Sorry for the late response. It has been 3 days since I started taking photos each morning. i can barely tell any difference. After the 2nd day I checked my CYA and it had increased (added more sanitizer) so I bumped up the FC to 20 ppm. I have been adding 6% chlorine for 3 days now and today seems to be a slight improvement (mid day while sun is bright). I raised CYA because I was getting around 20 ppm when I first started the slam. I'm sweeping every time I add chlorine (3-4 times a day. Looks like it's back to Wal-mart for more Fuel (chlorine).
After adding the sanitizer I can't backwash for a few more days. Oh, I'm vacuuming each day for 2-3hrs. (Polaris) Last 5-6 days I'm getting only leaves that have fallen when it rains so I'm fairly certain I have all debris out, but, won't know for sure till I can see the bottom.
I have noticed that when sweeping at the shallow end and steps I get a sort of cloudy dust/dirt look, redish in color. I had some issues last season with metal stains and used Ascorbic acid and got rid of the stains. Could this be some of the same issues? If it is I need to finish the slam before I bring down my PH and FC to add the acid OR do I need to do it now and start all over again????Hope notIMG_4623.JPGIMG_4624.JPGIMG_4626.JPGIMG_4627.JPG

What is the source of your chlorine? Is it fresh and no older than 90 days?

I would add the dose you want to arrive at (20ppm you mention) and put that in the pool. Wait 30 min with the pump running, then test to see if youre actually reaching that level.

Your siggy line says "aprox 19k gallons" yet it may be more?

Maddie :flower:

I backwashed 1-2 days until I added sanitizer, it says to not backwash for a week. I should be able to back wash Sun or Monday, Should I go ahead and B/W since my CYA is now bet 40-50?? I took the sock out 2 days ago.
About 5 days into slam I shut down the filter and deep cleaned, it was pretty dirty, had to run the hose about 20 mins to clear it up.-, but, did not have much debris in the filter, just gunk.

I just installed a new gauge on Sat. that I ordered from TFTest kits (oil filled) old on did not work on start up. So, after cleaning filter and install of ne gauge the PSI was about 15 psi. This morning it was 14 psi.
Just added 158oz. of 6% bleach per math to raise it back up to 20ppm. I have added 118oz this morning and 80 oz. mid day.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The sig line says Aprox 19K, but, is more likely lower than that. I have a more acurate measurement that I took this year and changed from 23K to 19K. The actual measurement wa more like 18,400+. I have since bumped the FC up to 20 due to adding sanitizer to raise it to between 40-50.

A dirty filter removes the fine particles better than a clean one. Don't backwash too often. If your clean filter pressure is 15 then you'll want to wait until the pressure gets up around 18 -20 psi. I don't have much experience with sand filters so if someone gives you different numbers than 18 - 20 then listen to them.

How often are you adding chlorine?

It sounds like you are on the right track. You have been doing several things that have prevented your SLAM from being as effective as it should.

It is important that you adhere ONLY to the SLAM article and follow it to a T.

Your psi will be important.......backwash again when the psi reaches 20-25% above normal (so about 24).......It may never get that high.....I think your pool is pretty clean.

Run your pump 24/7 starting now until your SLAM is complete.

When you get a chance get a few pounds of DE powder and addit to your skimmer until the psi rises just one pound.....then stop.

That DE will likely catch the really fine stuff a little quicker and may speed up finishing your SLAM.

Thks Duraleigh,
I saw a box of it at Wal-mart today and started to get it but didn't need nearly that size (I guess it was for a DE filter). I'll get some in the am. Doing 1 more test tonight and add the amt of Chlorine needed and hope it looks some better tomorrow.
Thanks for the help from everyone. A little less discouraged after reading your post.:)
Actually on the Pressure it has dropped to 14psi since I installed the new gauge.

I added 1/4 cup of DE to bucket of water and the pressure went up about 3 lbs and holding so I did not add anymore.
Seems slightly more clear today. I think I can vaguely see my brush head 3.5 to 4' deep
Now I'm going out and adding 6% bleach about every 3 hrs today. FC had dropped from 21 at 10:50 pm last night to 18 this morning with CC of .5.
I added 118 oz. now I'm just adding about 40 oz. every 3 hrs to maintain 20 without doing a chlorine test every time. My plan is to test 2-3 times daily for FC and CC. I have tested so much I had to order another 2oz. bottle of 871.
We'll see haow it looks this weekend

Duraleigh helped me out last year. He had me add DE to my sand filter (1/4 cup at a time to watch for pressure rise). I had spent a month clearing mine until he suggested I add the DE. Thanks again, Duraleigh!

i had to buy a box of DE about 2 ft tall. I will never use that much.

Hang in there!

Posted photo's in previous post a few minutes ago. Slam complete, passed OCLT. Thanks for the help everyone. Nows I am bringing down to proper levels, then have to start on Ascorbic acid to get rid of verified iron stains. Also, had to do that last year. i have my acid on hand and my sequesterant ready to add after stains are gone.
Didn't post in last few days as I had other issues (started with pump motor dying, pump hosing leaking which required a new pump/motor. Last weekend the filter drin cap started leaking bad. Removed sand and did a quick fix on the drain lateral by removing and plugging the hole and caulking the cap. Just getting thru this summer and replacing with new filter and replacing the liner and filter in spring of 2019.
I have learned that most of my problems were self created, but, with everyone's help (Duraliegh gets a special shot out). I was able to work thru them.
Great site with Great like minded folks. "I am and will remain a supporter for life"

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.