SLAMing for 5 days, no improvement over the last 2-3

Hello! My wife and I moved into a new house this year and now we are first-time pool owners! I encountered a lot of poor help from our local pool store but after discovering this community, our pool is looking relatively fantastic! We had a dark green swamp when we opened the pool and now the water is very blue but still quite cloudy. I can sort of see 2-3 feet into the pool but not yet to the bottom of the shallow end.

Test results after 2 days of SLAMing (had a family BBQ and couldn't maintain that day, but it gave me a good chance to check the progress from the first 2 days (before starting, the pool store had my FC at 0.84 and CC at 0). I've been SLAMing since.)
FC: 1.2
CC: 0.4
pH: 7.2
TA: 80
CH: 200
CYA: 20-30 (I think this is closer to 30 than 20, but my test kit bottoms out at 30 and I can't get a specific reading)

I'm currently on Day 5 of SLAM (maintaining FC of at least 12 using 8.25% bleach). The first couple days I saw quite a bit of improvement (from Venice green to the blue I see now). On Day 2, I cleaned out the cavity for the pool light. It had the same layer of green gunk that was previously on the floor and walls of the pool (spent about a month blindly vacuuming and brushing that!)
This quote from Pool School has me worried:
"While SLAMing, the appearance of the water should improve each day, though perhaps only by a little. If you fail to see any improvement you might have a problem with your filter, or have a higher CYA level than you think, or bad circulation, or have some other more complex problem."

With respect to those immediate suggestions:
1. I have no idea when the sand in the filter was last replaced. The filter has been working great so far (frequent bashwashing while I was vacuuming and cleaning the pool) but I could imagine that replacing the sand may be the next step.
2. Higher CYA levels - If anything, CYA are lower than I think, but I'm not having issues maintaining FC levels with the sun.
3. Circulation seems fine to me. I have good pressure on the pump and the filter and the returns look good to me.
4. "more complex problem" - yikes...

I have yet to pass an OFLT (I consistently lose about 3 ppm of FC overnight), so clearly there is some organic matter making the pool cloudy and eating the chlorine. My question is: if the pool surfaces are clean of debris, how long does SLAM usually take to finish?
My current worries are:
1. Drain/Return lines (or some other place??) have the same gunk that was on the surfaces I've cleaned, meaning the pool won't clear up until those lines are clean. Is there a good way to determine if this is true, and if so, to clean them?
2. Sand in filter needs to be replaced to clean the last bit of the pool. Again, is there a good way to determine if this is needed and are there any resources I can look over about how to change the sand?

Thank you so much! The posts here have gotten me to where I am now and I feel like we're so close to a clear pool!

I'm still a rookie at this but have SLAMed twice. A couple comments.

You gotta be diligent in maintaining your FC at SLAM level. Use the pool math calculator to determine your additions and test a few times a day. Remember, it's okay to go over a little but don't let it drift too low. Oh, forget about testing pH until you are done. Just FC and as you approach the finish, CC.

Brush and vac your pool multiple times per day if you can. Backflush your filter often as well. Run your filter 24 hours. If you wake up in the middle of the night due to pool anxiety, go out and brush the sides and bottom! :cool:

The pros will chime in here and correct me if I'm wrong and that's okay.

Welcome to TFP. I'm a former Granite Stater. Grew up near Keene. Last week, it was cooler here in Miami than it was there! My friends were all complaining. Good luck with your pool. This forum is great.

20180710_133746.jpg20180710_133809.jpg20180710_133803.jpg

Thanks! Yeah, everyone here was talking about how it was hotter than Florida! I've been testing every hour or two and have been diligent about keeping FC between 12 and 17 (or at least above 12).
I have backwashed to the point where it's become time to fill the pool up again (I have to skim manually as the water no longer gets up to the skimmer, which also makes it difficult to vacuum). Was hoping to get the pool clear before filling another 6 inches of water and throwing off the CYA and other balancing. (We'll fill with our well.)

Maybe I should stop SLAMing, maintain FC (at 1-4?), fill the pool, test and correct CYA, pH, and TA if necessary, then start SLAMing again?

You are in POP -- Pool Owner Patience time. Sand filters you need more of it as they are slow to clear a pool.

Fill you water and add 10 ppm CYA. Test 24 hours after the CYA powder is fully dissolved.

Maintain your SLAM level of 12 ppm FC. If you find your sand filter is not rising in pressure above clean pressure after a day or two try Pool School - Add DE to a Sand Filter.

Your pool will go from cloudy to near perfect quickly when it happens. From the pictures it should be soon.

Thanks everyone, I've kept up with SLAM and I'm starting to make out the bottom of the shallow end. Probably just a few (or several) more days at it and I'll get there!

We had a pretty bad thunderstorm a couple days ago. Lots of leaves and branches I needed to skim out, and we lost power for several hours. I had last touched the pool around 4PM before the storm and to my surprise the FC was still at 10.5 the next morning.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.