SLAMing and Yellow Algae

JibJab

Jun 9, 2019
Fort Worth, TX
Hello, I am a new-ish pool owner (this is my 2nd pool season) and I am still on my journey to learning how to be a good pool owner. I've read a lot of articles and posts on this site, so thank you all for your contributions!

I'm about to SLAM the pool. I've never done this before, and I guess my biggest concern is how much chlorine to put in. Yes, the chart provided will tell my by looking at my CYA. But the problem is, my pool is GUZZLING chlorine. I discovered-thanks to this site-that I have yellow algae. The "dust" on the sides of the pool confirms it. The problem was misinformation from (you guessed it) pool store guys, telling me it was pollen or dirt. A heavy dose of chlorine would "fix" the problem, resulting in the grey/brownish clumps on the bottom, and again (the pool store guys) told me this was just dead algae that needed swept up.

Tired of chasing my own tale, I dug deep on this site and came to the conclusion that it's yellow algae. My daily chlorine addition is eaten up instantly, "fixes" the problem by clarifying the water, and then the "dead" algae is at the bottom waiting to be swept up. An endless cycle of misunderstanding. Anyway, when I begin SLAMing it, how often should I check the chlorine and add to it? And once it's complete and I do the yellow algae shock level for 24 hours, will things really go back to normal? So here are a few questions:

1) I took care of the pool toys/tools/bathing suits... but what about my DE filters? Should I use bleach/acid to treat them?
2) WHEN should I add chlorine to the pool, normally, when this is all solved? (I use the 12.5% HASA). Day? Or Night?
3) How long should I run the filter? Currently, I run it during the day, and add the chlorine in the middle of the day.

Welcome to the forum!
Whatever type of algae it is, you start with a normal SLAM Process process.
Your DE filters will be in the shock level water during the SLAM so no need to separately treat them.
Once in maintenance mode, you add chlorine to the pool each day. When does not matter. Your FC must always be above the minimum for your CYA.
Pump run time, during maintenance, is variable for each pool. Read Determine Pump Run Time - Trouble Free Pool
I suggest you read ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry and consider reviewing the entire Pool School eBook.

Reactions: JibJab
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.