SLAM water is clear with a green tint

Jan 12, 2018
Frisco TX
Hello TFP,

I am on day 4 of the SLAM process. I have passed the OCLT and my water is clear. My CC is 1 ppm so I know I need to continue SLAM'n. My water has a greenish tint to it.

I'm planning on taking my water into the pool store for metal testing. After reading on here, I believe I may have metals in my pool. My CYA is 30. My FC is currently at 18.5.

I've been adding more bleach than required to make sure FC didn't drop below SLAM target of 12. I have a pool party on Saturday. Is there anything else that could be causing the green tint? Should I add sequestrant? Or should I let FC drop, after CC is below .5 ppm, and let the water clear by itself?

My filter is running 24/7.

Thanks

Once you pass the SLAM (even with the green tint but clear water) then address the metals.

Have you tried some paper towels in the skimmer basket to see if they turn brown?

I just placed paper towels in the skimmers.

I retested my water and FC 15 CC .5.

I’m preparing to leave for work so I’m going to raise FC a bit to make sure it stays above 12 while I’m gone.

My water is improving. The greenish tint isn’t so green. The water is clear but dull.

Hopefully, by tomorrow, I will see even more improvement.

Thanks

Happy to report that I do not have metals in my pool. Well, at least, I don't think so. The paper towels in the skimmer did not turn brown.

I passed the OCLT, 0 CC, and my water is clear without a green tint. SLAM complete!!! I can finally give the ol pool pump a rest.

The pool still looks a little green to me but my wife insists it's perfect. I will be able to better tell tomorrow with full sun.

My readings are:

pH 7.8
FC 6.5
CC 0
TA 90
CH 350
CYA 30

I will re-test CYA when I have full sun. I will stop for MA on the way home and bring pH down to 7.2. I have a water feature so I know my pH will continue to rise.

Should I adjust TA to 100 or let it be? I know MA will bring down TA as well so I will need to add some baking soda.

Thanks for all your help. I was starting to doubt my pool would clear in time for the party. I keep forgetting POP...pool owner patience.

Are there any precautions I should take before or after the pool party?

Thanks again!!!

TA does not need adjusting. Anything above 50 ppm is fine.

Just before the party add 5 ppm additional FC. Then test after the party and adjust.

At slam levels any metals in the water would have oxidized and either turned the water a lovely mud brown or left very noticeable stains on the pool surface. Some pool surfaces combine with water to give an aqua look to the pool.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.