Winnie/Texas
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool RJ-45
My pool went south for the winter. Trying to get it swim ready. It was dark green. I have been at Slam level for 4 days now and it is still green. It's more of a lighter green but green none the less. Is this normal for it to stay green 4 days into a Slam? I thought it would have been a cloudy blue by now. My CYA is 60, Alkalinity was 80, pH started at 7.2. Have been hitting 24 on my FC. Should I go higher??

Keep at it. Are you testing and adding chlorine every few hours to make sure you stay at 24 as much as possible?

Keep in mind, it didn't turn green overnight and wont clear up overnight. As long as your a comfortable that your CYA of 60 is accurate, no need to go higher than 24.

Reactions: Mdragger88
Keep at it. Are you testing and adding chlorine every few hours to make sure you stay at 24 as much as possible?

Keep in mind, it didn't turn green overnight and wont clear up overnight. As long as your a comfortable that your CYA of 60 is accurate, no need to go higher than 24.
I test and adjust when I can. I work 12 hours a day. So basically that leaves me time to adjust twice.

I agree with the comments above. Continue the SLAM Process as best as you can. Consistency is key. A partial water exchange might be helpful and Marty recommended. You mentioned the cost of city water, but chlorine will take a bite out of the checkbook as well, so it's a tactical decision on your part. Even if you do exchange some water, you still need to continue the SLAM.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Sand filter and unable to manage SLAM very often, you can expect it to take 2-3 weeks. At least.

Keep at it! Do your best to get in 3 doses a day. Example : Before work, right after, & right before bed if you can. Hit it hard (every couple hours) on the weekends (or whenever you’re off work)
The more often you are at slam level the faster it will go.
Are you absolutely certain of your cya level? Remember there’s no inbetweens & you always round up to be sure you’re covered. Anything reading between 60 & 70 = 70.

For a successful SLAM Process
you need to continue to MAINTAIN Slam level fc for your cya as often as possible (multiple times per day) until you meet ALL 3 end of slam criteria-

You are done when:

CC is 0.5 or lower;
You pass an Overnight Chlorine Loss Test
AND
the water is clear.
(Crystal Clear w/no algae dead or alive)

*Check & scrub every nook & cranny where algae may hide (light niches, steps, drain covers, ladder handrails, skimmer throats/weirs, etc.)
*Run slam level water through all water features & lines for at least a couple hours a day during the SLAM Process.
*Brush & or vac daily (this breaks up biofilms that algae uses to protect itself from chlorine)
*Backwash/clean filter when pressure rises 25%over clean pressure.

I think if there was significant iron in the water it would have turned brown at the start of the slam. Have you scooped all the debris out of the pool? Any accumulated leaves or organic matter will slow down a slam. Since you can only dose the pool a couple of times a day make sure you go out at dusk and bring the pool back to slam level so the chlorine can work overnight without burn off from the sun. Next time you have a day off try and get the pool back to slam level every couple of hours if you can.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.